Starting issues Oldsmobile cutlass supreme sl

Asked by Mar 26, 2016 at 09:07 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr SL Coupe

I basically have everything in my 97 olds
cutlass brand new except for transmission
car runs like a champ but suddenly stopped
starting first thought it was an anti theft
system problem so I bought a new Rockies
module to bypass the anti theft system and
that seemed to work for at least 6 months
never once had a problem starting it then
out of nowhere recently it started doing the
same thing again when I go to turn the key it
does absolutely nothing but make a clicking
noise all lights come on radio headlights
dash lights and everything else still works
new battery new alternator new plugs new
wires new belts can't figure out what is
causing this

71,335

A click when you turn the key like that indicates there is not enough voltage going to the starter, meaning bad connections, since you say the battery is new and new alternator. Have you tried to jump start it? Also it may be a bad battery cable.

No have not tried jump start yet I will try that, my starter is newer but that means nothing could've got a bad starter from the auto parts store my wiring to the starter does look pretty corroded and old, is there any quick temporary fixes to this problem? Like hotwire, manual jumping the starter I need something for right now need a way to work till I can get out to my uncle's auto shop

71,335

Just try cleaning up the cables for now, sounds like they need to be replaced. You could jump it with the key on down by the starter but that cable still has to be good. If you have a battery charger to put on that may give the extra juice. Should try getting a jump.

I will give it a try thank you for your help

How do I do that thing with the starter? I don't want to do something wrong I remember someone showing me you take a screwdriver and tap it against the wire on the starter while the key is turned forward

71,335

Ya, the top big post over to the small post to the side on the solenoid. Do not be touching ground.

Best Answer

Just to let you know I took an alligator clip of a jumper cable to the terminal on the starter and got a nice spark and engine cranked up right away running great as expected, so my starter motor is obviously still working but I still believe the starter is going bad I believe it is the solenoid or just not getting enough voltage I am taking it out to the shop Saturday to fix thanks for the help!