is a,blown gasket an expensive job for this car

Asked by Mar 06, 2016 at 04:14 PM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr SL Sedan

102,425

That all depends on how far the repairs have to go to make it right, so get lucky and can just replace the gaskets without any further work, others will need to have the heads pressure tested and machined while some will heed new or rebuilt heads. Bare minimum is 500 bucks, no frills. Average will be around a grand barring anything unforeseen. After that then you need to determine if the car is worth putting that kind of money into it.

Hello tennis shoes, my friend also said the smoke from tail pipe comes out clean no water then what does that determine if anything tim

102,425

So it was normal condensation in the exhaust system then? A blown head gasket you may feel an engine miss on initial start up and will also turn the oil mikly color and you will have increased cooling system pressure and on rare occasions oil in the cooling system.

Tennis shoes none of what u describe is happening so will a oil change make a diffrence

102,425

So if the oil is not milky, the coolant is full and there is no oil floating in it, and your cooling system pressures are normal then to eliminate the headgasket concern altogether is to have a block check test performed at a shop of your choice. Then if it needs it change the oil and filter while your there.

Good morning tennishoe how are u ,u are a real man man's and thank u so much ,now does the block test come with the oil change and how costly can it be .and does the oil change involve changing the spark plugs aswell

102,425

No a block check does not include an oil change. I was just suggesting that if it needed an oil and filter change just do it while your in the shop. An oil change dose not have anything to do with the spark plugs so those will not be touched. As far as costs go it is hard to say, some shops have menu prices, so maybe an oil change is say 50 bucks and the shops labor rate is 80 bucks an hour, a good block check can take an hour, so that's 80 bucks, 130 bucks, then of course there are the usual shop fees depending on your area, so you might get out of there for around 150 bucks, provided they don't find something wrong. Then it's a whole new ball game. You might find someplace cheaper or even more expensive, it all depends on your area and current labor rates.

Tim u are the greatest ,any more information I need I will only talk to u ,thank u and have a nice week

102,425

If you want you can just click on the worn out tennis shoe and that will take you to my garage and there you can send me messages.

Is it the tennis shoe I see under 55,000

102,425

On top of it right, that number keeps changing, but just click on it and your there.

Maybe doesn't work from phone ,go to computer Mr tennis shoes

I can't find the fuse for sun roof ,I looked in both boxes can u tell me where to locate the fuse and where to look please

102,425

They are usually in th same circuit as the power windows, so if your windows work so should your roof, the biggest failure in these is the linkage, it get fowled up and locks the motor.

So leave the sunroof as is u saying tim

102,425

If it is closed don't mess with it until you want to fix it, average cost for sunroof repair where I am at is 1500 bucks, first hand knowledge on this one.

Dang that much ,I leave it alone for good lol but where did u say the fuse is located

102,425

Here ya go. see pic.

Is that for 96 olds mobile cutlass ,my diaphragm looks entirely different Mr shoe

102,425

Your right, I did find another one.

Sorry tom not it but I appreciate the hard work u put in and hope u making money with your knowledge of cars and your clear representation of people like me who need help ,u are a star in my book ,god bless u my brother

Tom if smoke from tail pipe is clear and no water coming from it is that a good sign? Fingers crossed

Hello tennis shoes my muffler is dripping water from the body not the actual tail pipe please diagnos this problem for me please notify me asap if u can

Also I see a tear in the muffler please help me and tell me what can I do

102,425

Sounds normal that is why they put a weep hole in mufflers, your humidity must be really high right now.

Best Answer Mark helpful

So what it means if the water comes through the pipe and yes its like 60° out here ,u are the MAN

102,425

You can temporally repair the tear if it's not too big by buy some muffler repair tape at your local parts store, they may also have some liquid muffler sealer that you can spread into the tear then seal it with the tape. But eventually you will have to replace the muffler.

102,425

Thanks for the points.

Just the muffler or entire muffler system?

What will happen if I don't change muffler in like a month what happens Mr shoe

Man u lucky I can't give u some money u are the best I've met here and won't ask no one else but nonetheless u deserve what ever u get my brother from another mother lol

102,425

If the pipes are still in good shape then just the muffler, once you've made the temporary repair it is hard to say how long it will last, I would think it should get you into summer.

What's the worse that can happen if left to go for some time Mr shoe and how can I double or add more points ,I'm new here and feel very welcomed hearing your knowledge and I PRAY u using your car skills and getting paid like u are worth

Mr shoe if I seal the muffler and stop the dripping is that a,bad sign if water drips through the tail end of the pipe

102,425

The worst that can happen is the pipes will start to rust somewhat sooner than normal but it is a 96 so eventually some exhaust system work will have to be done. Believe me the exhaust will become noisy when it is time do do something about it. Did you get the message I sent to your Garage?

How much will an exhaust system cost for that car and how do I go check garage don't know how mr shoe

102,425

I don't know your area but out here you can get a simple system minus converters for 400 bucks, if you want to go better materials the price goes up from there, my exhaust guy told me he had one guy come in and spent over 1500 bucks on a system, so that it a rather large price spread. To get to your garage just click on your name pellepelle or the icon, and in your case it is just the human body silhouette and your there.

So with all the troubled I put u through do u think its a lemon I brought Mr shoe

102,425

It's a 20 year old Oldsmobile, it's bound to have some problems, so far you haven't mentioned anything I would consider serious. As long as you didn't overpay for it. So as of right now I don't think so.

Can u tell me the Kelly blue book value of a 96 cutlass supreme 4 door 3.1

102,425

Rough estimate is 1486. It depends on what options you have, what engine, 2Dr or 4Dr. mileage, overall condition of the interior and exterior etc.