i have 96 olds cutrlass ,when turning ignition hear a click what does that mean

Asked by Mar 03, 2016 at 11:35 AM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr SL Sedan

car won't turn over but lights come on

285,875

Click can mean a weak battery , even though the lights are on in the car, just not enough cold cranking amps. check the voltage.

Thank u tom ,now if it was just the alternator what results would I get or if both the battery and alternator

285,875

If the alternator was bad you would have a battery light lit up on the dash. Like I mentioned, your first step is to measure the voltage on the battery or remove it and have your local auto parts store do it for you. 12.3V or more with engine off, 14V with engine running. That means the alternator is working correctly.

So when I turn key ,look on dash and battery sign will light ,can u give it to me like the book of dummies cause I know nothing about cars and trying to do this without a lot of spending