why won't car stay started?

60

Asked by Mar 27, 2015 at 06:12 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

car ran out of gas.refueled car.car now won't stay started.replaced starter and battery, car
still won't stay started.

Fuel pump is in tank. Sometimes running out of gas will burn it up, or even habitually running low on gas, the pump does not 'know' there is nothing to pump and keeps trying, and the gas is the coolant.

60

gas is coming to the injector lines but car will not start unless i spray quick start fluid in intake then car stays running for about5 seconds and cuts off again but as long as i spray quick start fluid car will attempt to start

Ok, still a fuel starvation issue. Filter clogged, pressure regulator, or back to pump.

60

could it be the fuel injectors / how can i check them?

55

you most likely sucked up any rust, dirt in the bottom of tank,

Single Port SPFI or MPFI -Multi-Port Injection? The early, mid-90's throttle-body SPFI used one injector to spray fuel in to intake plenum. So it possibly could be injector nozzle plugged. But if it's MPFI, or SFI, Sequential port FI, then injectors are not the problem. it would not run on starting fluid. Either one, it should have a hot wire to it at all times, and the ECM triggers ti fuel release buy completing to circuit by grounding it. This article is a bit dry but informative: http://www.autodiagnosticsandpublishing.com/feature/fuel-injector-testing.htm

flyingj64 makes an excellent point that I forgot all about. Especially in a 20 year old car Good Call

4,055

Have your fuel pump pressure tested. It is unlikely there was enough debris in the bottom of your fuel tank to plug anything. The fuel filter would have caught. It is also unlikely that something else would just happen to have failed at the same time you ran out of fuel. The fuel pump is the most likely culprit. Until you eliminate it as the source of your problem you are wasting your time... and walking.

, I