Rear suspension problems

155

Asked by Apr 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

My rear suspension on my 95 cutlass supreme is going bad its starting to sag and I hear the shocks whenever I hit a bump. I wanna replace the suspension with aftermarket parts and I want it maybe an inch or two higher, should I just go with heavy duty shocks or is there more to it?

1,255

the rear suspension on that car is a little different than most. I believe that you have a monoleaf in the rear. the spring is what sets the height of the vehicle and the shocks/struts wont change that. i would recommend replacing the struts (if you know they are bad) and inspect the mounts. The mounts go bad quite often. in the last couple years i have seen a few of these cars with the rear strut towers rusting out. When you remove them inspect where the mount bolts in for rust and rot. Good luck

12,665

Try Rock Auto Parts they have a complete selection. Struts for your car are about $60 not including springs. If its starting to sag and you replace the suspension you should be higher than you are now.

3,775

Sounds like my car did and it turned out to be the monoleaf spring. The urethane "bumpers" on the end of your spring are probably long gone. Once they go the ends of the actual spring start to wear. If the wear is not too excessive you may be ablr to just replace the urethane bumpers. They are available from the aftermarket, but don't count on it. By now the ends of your spring are likely worn down to the point where they are becoming weak. There are aftermarket steel monoleafs available for around $400. I had mine replaced and my car rides like new. There are several hours of labor involved, and if its a convertible there are a few more than a hardtop. I paid someone so all told I was well over $1000 by the time I was done. You'll want to decide if your car is worth it or not. Good luck with your project.

40

I HAVE CUSTOM STEEL TRIPLE LEAF TO REPLACE COMPOSITE ORIGINAL IS MADE TO FIT...IF INTERESTED CONTACT jpgfreebird@e-bay...new

Best Answer
20

I have a replacement fiberglass spring in my possession. Also included are the rubber (MOOG) mounts. $150 lrsdad@yahoo.com

10

I'm trying to find mono leaf spring for 1996cutless supreme

3,775

Steel ones are readily available from the aftermarket. Start with your local auto parts store. If not try a shop that specializes in springs and suspension. They will be able to order one.