Steering wheel shimmy

10

Asked by May 10, 2014 at 08:14 AM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr STD Convertible

But there's no abnormal noise when
driving. And no play in the wheel. All
is tight expect for this shimmy. The
shimmy does lessen when letting my
foot of the accelerator at around 45-
47, but still there. Also the car
shimmys side to side at 45, but not
together as one when the wheel
shimmys. If the wheel shakes left the
car shakes right and so on.

11,585

This could be a simple wheel/tire balance issue. I would recommend pulling the front wheels and inspecting behind the wheel where the wheel meets the brake rotor. Make sure there is no debris there that would make the wheel sit awkward against the rotor. Pull the brake rotor and do the same with the rotor where it meets the hub. Once it's all inspected re-install the wheels and torque the lug nuts equally. If the problem is still there it could be a balance issue. A shop would have to put the wheels on the balancing machine and check them. Also how old are the struts? Badly worn struts could make things feel awkward as well.

10

I have a 95 olds cutlass supreme that has a steering wheel shimmy at 45 mph. I've had the following replaced/repaired--LCA, shocks, struts, both half shafts, tie rods, hydraulic motor mount. It also has new brakes, tires, and was road forced balanced(tires) and aligned.