Back doors

Asked by May 09, 2016 at 03:19 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr Special Edition Sedan

I have a 94 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme
my back doors do not open. How do I take
it apart to take my doors off so I can see
why they won't open?

3,785

It will probably be necessary to remove the inner door panels which is tough to do with the doors closed. Put the front seats all the way forward and remove the rear seat cushion to give yourself room to work. The rear seat cushion is removed by pushing back at the base and unhooking the base from the retainer on the floor, then lifting up. You have to push quite hard to release it. After that its a case of finding the various screws that hold the panels to the door and getting them out and the panels off. Likely the linkage has come off or broken from the latch mechanism. Good luck, its not a fun job. If you have a few dollars you might want to pay a body shop to do it.

OK thanks for the heads up . but yeah we are going to do it ourselves. It's knowing exactly where the screws are is the issue. I'm completely replacing the two doors with new doors. Just trying to get the doors off.

3,785

If your new doors have the inner panels on them remove them first that way you will know where the fasteners are on the ones still in your car. Start with whatever you can find that's obvious and go from there. There is probably a screw behind the handle that opens the door. If the door has inner pull straps there are likely covers at each end of the strap with screws underneath them. Around the perimeter of the door panel will be hidden plastic pins which push into holes inside the door to hold the panels in place. These will be the tricky ones if you have to remove them with the doors closed. Hopefully you can get into the doors and open them first before you have to remove those clips. Good luck.