trouble cranking a 1994 oldsmobile cutlass supreme v6 with a 3.1 engine

10

Asked by Jul 16, 2014 at 08:34 AM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

my 94 Oldsmobile runs good when I can get it to crank. But when I go to crank it, it just clicks. it clicks one time every time I turn it over and then eventually it cranks. I have replaced the starter (even had it shimmed), alternator, battery, spark plugs, flywheel, and put on new battery cables. it has 177,000 miles and doesn't even have a engine light on but no one can figure out the problem

I'm having the same problem with mine. I'm a auto technician student and my instructors are saying that it sounds like the flexplate (flywheel) has a chipped tooth. Look forward to attempting this project and seeing if it fixes it. This is not an easy fix and is rated at 6.8 hours of labor. At a dealership this could be putting this estimated cost at $600-$850 depending on price of part and labor.