i have a 1994 cutlass supreme the low coolant light comes on aand off but the coolant is not low. what could possibly the reason?

Asked by Oct 20, 2012 at 04:04 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

9,435

there is a SENSOR, that determines the level of coolant IN THE RADIATOR, keep in mind, that because the reservoir or radiator seem full, a blockage can prevent flow, are you having over heating issues?

95

just to add to what John said about the blockage, be sure to assess that ASAP, because those 60* V6s love to fry headgaskets. if theres not a blockage, than just replace the sensor or if you are willing to check it often just disconnect the wire to eliminate the light

5,045

I had a '94 Bonneville that did that. I discovered debris blocking the tube that goes from the rad to the overflow cannister. Cleaned it out and never had the problem again.

'95 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible. 3.4L DOHC engine. Had the light come on several times. After ensuing heart attack, I removed the sensor (located just below the transmission oil cooling line on the passenger side of the radiator) cleaned it out with a tooth brush ( not mine), re-installed and all is well. Not sure how long the coolant has been in there ( smelled of dinosaurs when I opened the cap) so I changed that too to avoid contaminating the sensor again. Drive a car for 24 years and 300,000 KM and have a problem. What a piece of junk! (just kidding of course.)

5,045

Nice car. Looks great for 300 K. I have the same one. My favourite car to drive.