changed timing belt car wont start

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 04:09 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr Special Edition Coupe

followed mauel exactly was tdc on #1 piston all timing marks lined up. changed all the pulleys, tensioner pulley, etc.. belt tight, roated engine 3 times. Im missing something.

60,875

You have a timing chain. Not a belt. Where were the dimples on the sprockets when you lined them up? Some need to be 12 O'clock on both the cam and crank while some need to be at 6 O'clock on the cam and 12 O'clock on the crank. Some GMs need to have the #6 cylinder at top dead center (TDC) not #1. Older Cadillacs were like that. Before tearing it back apart check your compression. If you have good compression be sure that the distributor is installed correctly and not 180° out. But if you have little or no compression you're going to be 180° out on the valve timing. Also be sure, if you have good compression, that the distributor rotor is lined up with the #1 tower on the distributor cap and the #1 cylinder is at TDC. HTH. -Jim

3,695

Which engine do you have? They used a number of different ones in this car. I don't believe any of them have a timing chain though I could be wrong. I'm guessing if you just changed it you would know though. Does it try to start, or is there nothing at all. If its turning over but not firing at all I would go over all external engine wiring very carefully. Perhaps something was simply left unplugged or not plugged in properly. Without a bit more info from you though we are really just fishing here.