Disconnecting Battery

Asked by Apr 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr STD Convertible

I have a 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 3.4 that we keep at our vacation home.  I disconnect the battery each time we leave for extended periods.  Would this cause the Check Engine Soon light to come on?  Am I harming the computer in any way?

102,215

I don't believe that you are harming the computer doing that due to the length of time it is disconnected. As far as the check engine light it may indeed have a problem, mass air flow sensor dirty, O2 bad, TPS out of specs, but everytime you disconnect the power of an extended period the computer has to relearn what car it is in and this can take up to 40 minutes to so. Run it for a while then have the codes checked and then come back with them and we will go from there.

70,995

No harm is being done to the ECM (computer). But since your car is OBD I, each time you disconnect the battery you're clearing the trouble code(s). My '93 Chevy Caprice used to do the same thing sometimes when I'd not use it for extended periods. Sometimes it would sit for 4 to 6 months. It would set an oxygen sensor code that would go away on its own after a day or two. Probably a speck of dirt or corrosion from sitting is getting on one of the sensors & causing the problem. See if it goes away on its own after a few days of normal driving. If so, I wouldn't worry about it. If not then, as others have said publish the code(s) here & we can help. HTH. -Jim