My 1994 Olds Cutlass runs great but will not idle. Any suggestions?

DonPavlik
0

Asked by Oct 29, 2011 at 08:47 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr STD Convertible

3,325

Is it a 3.4? They are famous for intake gaskets failing. By the way, brace yourself, its not cheap getting it fixed. You'll probably want to do timing belt and maybe idler pulleys while you're in there, and of course the firewall side spark plugs and wires that are normally near impossible to get at may as well be changed too. See where this is all going? Was around $1500 by the time I got done. Good luck. It could also be electrical. Wath your guage. Is it charging properly? Mine had a bad connection so the computer was not getting enough power. Engine ran bad, ABS was erratic, top went up and down very slow. Got that fixed and it was like a new car. That cost $80. Made up for the first bill.

DonPavlik
0

Yes it is a 3.4L. Its charging fine. No other complaints. I changed the plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets 8,000 miles ago (86,427) This idle problem just raised its ugly head last week. If its the intake gaskets, I will take your advice and change the T-belt, pulleys etc. Might as well change the Qxygen Sensor, Pressure Regulator and whatever else is buried under there. Thank you very much for your valuable imput!

3,325

Let me know how it turns out. They are awesome cars when they are running properly. We love ours. How long have you had yours?

DonPavlik
0

I got lucky. I changed the oxygen sensor and it idles perfect. So far so good. Thanks for the e-mail!

DonPavlik
0

I got lucky. I changed the oxygen sensor and it idles perfect. So far so good. I love my Olds also. Its a white on white ragtop with maroon leather interior with all the options. My next mission is to find weather- stripping for the door pillers and the top. Haven't had any success as of yet. If you need Delco parts, Google Rock Auto. I have delt with them before. Cheaper than any auto parts store and 2-3 day delivery. By the way I like your ride!

3,325

Glad to hear its running better. Thanks for the lead on parts. It's a bit challenging finding stuff for these cars. I've managed to source out parts at newgmparts.net, and Buygmpartsworldwide. The one seems to be quite a bit more expensive than the other, especially for freight. I haven't actually done business with either one yet so can't comment on that side of it, but bot companies got back to me promptly with answers to questions which is always a good sign. Your car sounds great too. A white/white with burgundy one showed up at the Olds show I attended this past summer. What a beautiful combination. Sounds like you're enjoyin your as much as I enjoy mine.

DonPavlik
0

It is always good to network. I did find door mouldings at Metro Moulded Parts Inc. Not too expensive and arrived within a week. Perfect fit! Keep the air in the spare! Thanks for your information. Type to ya lay ta! Don Pavlik Boca Raton, Fl.

DonPavlik
0

I purchased my ride in 2005 for $2,500.00 from my cousin. This is the first problem that I have incountered. Later, Don Pavlik Boca Raton, Fl.

3,325

Nice!! And a low miler at that. I paid a good bit more than that for mine and have poured quite alot of money into it. Mine had just under 100,000 mi on it when I got it two years ago. Has about 110,000 on it now. I'm hoping the expense is worth it. Even if its not though we're enjoying it so much we don't really care. I just finished upgrading the headlights to Nighthawks. Had to gut the factory lights and install the better bulbs, but it turned out perfect and they look totally stock. I'm planning to "rebuild" the driver's door over the winter with new hinges, check strap and exterior door handle. Once that's done its pretty well good as new, although there's always something when you own an older car.

DonPavlik
0

Thanks. I feel the same way. You own the car for the joy it brings to you, not as an investment. When the time comes for you and the iron to part, if there is a financial reward, good for you. If not, so what! Go visit www.convertibletopguys.com There's an Olds like yours! Again, thanks for sharing. I never diagolged like this before. Its kinda neat! I don't know how to attach a photo. If I could, I would. Later, Don

3,325

Thanks. I'll check that website. I'd love to see your car. If you have pics of it on your computer or your digital camera its not too tough to post them here. Find someone to give you a hand with it if you can. I find 8 year olds are especially useful for this sort of thing. lol Just sayin... It is fun to hook up with fellow owners and enthusiasts. Thanks.

DonPavlik
0

Ok. I'll get with the folks in our IT department to help me out. EnJoy!