gas gauge reads PAST full

Asked by Jun 03, 2011 at 12:07 AM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

ok, my gauge reads past full, i took it to a shop to diagnose it, the guy got into my trunk and played with some wires, and then told me that it is the gauge itself, well, as you cant buy single gauges for this type of setup, i went and got another head unit, well when i hooked it up, turned the key, the gauge went right past full, so im thinking its not the gauge itself, so i dont know where i should be looking for the problem, i would rather NOT drop my tank and see, i did disconnect a wire that was sitting on top of the tank,  no diffrience in the gauge, so im at a loss to tell, it did go to empty only once when i ran out of gas, but went right past full when i turned the key back on, on or off the thing reads past full

sounds like the float in the tank is stuck. it most likely needs to be replace. dropping the fuel tank is easier than it seems. a few clamps and some bolts for the straps holding the tank.

yeah, its just jacking it up and doing it, i know how to, just dont look forward to doing it, and im trying to find a way to test to make sure its the sending unit, i just think it maybe a bad wire someplace, it reads way past the full it doesnt seem to be a stuck sending unit

anyone have any idea's how to test this? there are 4 wires going into the tank, i need to know wich one's wich, there's a purple wire, two black one's and a grey or white one

why dont you just test the wires to see if there is voltage going to them from the wire to the chasis, or you could also do a ohm test, just make sure the car is off when you do that

i have the same problem but i think my problem is the cluster

My car is doing the same thing I need some answers to