My Oldsmobile temperature gage inside the car will show over heating with needle going to max temp and seconds later going back to normal temperature just as quick. I have replaced the intake manifold gasket, temperature sensor, thermastat and radiater cap. I also have tried to burb the system by placing a no spill funnel on the radiater fill inlet and let run for over an hour. The car would burp every few minutes when what I believe was when the thermostat opened and that is when the temp gage inside would go to the max.

Asked by Feb 05, 2015 at 08:32 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr STD Convertible

My Oldsmobile temperature gage inside the car will show over heating with needle going
to max temp and seconds later going back to normal temperature just as quick. I have
replaced the intake manifold gasket, temperature sensor, thermastat and radiater cap. I
also have tried to burb the system by placing a no spill funnel on the radiater fill inlet and
let run for over an hour. The car would burp every few minutes when what I believe was
when the thermostat opened and that is when the temp gage inside would go to the max.

70

Could be a wiring problem or an instrument cluster problem. Your thermostat should be be fine if you said your coolant starts to bubble and the neck of the radiator and you replaced the coolant temp. Sensor so that's really all I can think of

185

Whadda mean "burp"? Maybe water pump is loosing seal. When you squeeze the hose, are there bubbles coming out at the rad fill? Not supposed to be. If so, air is getting in from somewhere. If air is getting in, could be a few things. None good tho. None that I can think of. Flush system before checking for air. I took the waterhose to an old CRX I had. Remove cap. Crank engine. Stick water hose in fill. Turn on hose. Keep running for about 20 min to cycle all air out and force water in it's place. Cap radi. Drive for about 10 min maybe more. Wait for engine to cool completely. Squeeze main radi hose. Are there any air bubbles? If so, check oil dipstick for water. If positive, head problems. If it starts blowing white smoke that smells like an overheating motor, you know it's the heads. If you have an aluminium block, would fix now. Like time now. Aluminium will not hold up like steel blocks will and will warp very fast.