Have 1991 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme. Belt broke replaced car started and checked belt. Shut off car. Now it won't start?

Asked by Oct 19, 2015 at 11:27 PM about the 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr SL Sedan

1,405

well belts don't usualy break, what you need to do is remove the belt and see if the car will start, If you have a bad bearing it will jam up and stop the car from turning over, mostly the alt pully

Thanks, I'll try it!

I took off the belt and it wouldn't start. The motor does turn over and with a freshly charged battery it turns fast. Odd that the first time I try to start the car it wants to start and seems to run a couple of seconds before dying. After that is just turns over at fast pace. Checked for fire at the spark plug and it is good. Could it be it isn't getting fuel and the belt going out is a coincidence.?