How do you replace the ignition lock cylinder on a 1990 olds cutlass supreme international

55

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 01:49 PM about the 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr International Coupe

I have to jiggle the key to start and sometimes the battery is drained two hours after being
parked

98,385

That sounds more like a switch problem, not a key and tumbler.

4,175

I agree. A little more in the way of diagnostics might save you a bunch of time and money. Find an experienced GM mechanic who understands the various relays, remote switches, linkages, lockout switches and whatever else may be a part of the ignition system. Hopefully such a person exists here somewhere and will chime in.

55

From what I'm able to find out, there is no ignition switch per say, but there is an ignition control module which I have yet to find its location. Also, I notice the digital dash flickers when the key is jiggled about which makes me believe there's something wrong in the steering column.

4,175

You could be right. However the ignition control module and other components like lockout switches etc are often located remotely at the base of the steering column and are connected to the ignition switch by long metal rods. The ignition key assembly's only function may be to move that rod. If you can have someone turn the key while you observe what is happening at the base of the steering column, you may be able to locate the faulty part. It will also help if you are a contortionist and have x-ray night vision capabilities. Things are pretty tight down there.

98,385

The ignition switch is located about 2/3rd's the way down the steering column, most times I have found it easier to lower the column to gain access to the switch, as you state sometimes wiggling the key makes things work, I suspect the switch or some linkage problem, dropping the column down will allow you see the link rod and see if it is making a normal track or the actuator rod is about to break.