how do i know if my computer is bad..

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 11:16 AM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

my 1995 olds cutlass ciera with a 3.1 engine..hard to start and when does wont idle..now it wont start at all..if my computer is bad how can I check it..

22,915

Take the car to your mechanic and have it checked out, there's a code that will tell them if the computer is bad. Get a refurbished one, I had to replace the computer on my old 1995 Honda Accord. The computer is an essential part on the car and controls everything,

112,435

A dealer is your best bet to have it checked out...

22,915

I definitely agree with the last post, but, if you have a good independent mechanic they can also do this. If you have an established business relationship with your current mechanic, call and find out if they're qualified do do that, you'll save some money.

10,820

A Boeing Dream-liner does not have a single linkage from the pilot to any control surface ... all he has is a tiny wire that goes to the computer ... over 400 lives depend on that computer. My point is that's reliability .. A "computer problem" is usually bad information that's going into a computer ,,, we have all heard the saying "Garbage in ~~~ Garbage out". BUT U CAN DAMAGE AN ECU IF YOU SHORT OR SUBMERGE IT One of the most misdiagnosed components on a car is The Computer. A computer is not selective ... it doesn't have a bad day and it's not ornery ... when a computer goes bad it dumps everything and can actually damage an engine so engineers have taken great steps to insure that does not happen. Ahhh .. sorry for the rant