Car got a little warm, now we can't start it.

Asked by Jul 11, 2012 at 05:05 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

I was coming home in my 94 yesterday, when I noticed that the temp had (for the first time EVER)
gotten up to the 1st red mark (it has 2 red marks then a red block for warnings about temperature). I
immediately shut the car off and stopped.  Checked (when I could), it had water, it had oil.  When it
cooled off, I started it back up. It started ok, but didn't have power and wouldn't rev at all.  Now it
won't start. It'll crank and try (every once in a great while) to turn over, but won't.  We've checked - it
has spark...it has fuel..... any ideas? This car has been the answer to my nightmare - and I love it dearly
and don't want it to die on me...... also I'm on a limited (limited by my health) income to exactly $0
and whatever my boyfriend gives me.  Please help ! Ideas anyone?

12,005

Do you have any check engine lights?

16,195

If you can think back to when if overheated did you hear any gurgling of the coolant as it should of been boiling over into the overflow? If not then there may be a change that just the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor failed, if it says a false reading it can cause a no start condition. This is best case scenario for you, there is a strong chance internal damage has occured from the overheating.

40

Failing thermostat or water pump...

40

Aluminum engines are crap and you likely fried the motor, it doesn't take much, even if you did cut it off when you said you did. You at the very least warped a head. It can be hard sometimes but put it to rest on the farm.