93 ciera 3.3 won't turn over on first try

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 09:24 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

I've replaced the starter, fuel pump
and strainer, battery is good.. Loud
sound that comes from the area of
the tank when trying to start it, once
that sounds stops after the 3rd to 5th
time I know that the very next crank
it will turn over. I'm thinking some
injector cleaner and new spark plugs,
or bad sending unit? Possibly the
PROM chip?

10,070

If your car wont"turn over" on the first try, then it could be an igniton switch. is it not turning over, or not starting while turning over?

It will crank but not actually start until I've tried a few times

Then when it sounds like it's finally gonna start you have to give it a little gas and it helps get it started. I've just replaced the IAC valve as well because that was shot. It helped with the stalling and rough idle but I'm frustrated trying to get my car started and it taking 5 times to do it every single time unless it's been running.

10,070

I would have the fuel pressure tested Jen . If that is up to specs then have the injectors tested. I am also assuming that your battery is in good condition.

Fuel pressure is good, battery is good.. Other than injectors what would you suggest?

10,070

If you are sure the fuel pressure is up to specs, it MUST be in its specified range, then possibly a fuel pressure regulator. It wouldn't hurt to scan the computer for codes. This is an obd1 system so you can do it yourself. You may already know how using the paper clip trick. If not you can Google it.

Thank you

10

I'm having that same problems. Everything is fine and we have scanned for codes and nothing... Sparks plugs are fine, getting fuel pressure, battery is brand new, starter is working. It wants to start but just wont. Any help would be appreciated!!