My 93 olds cutlass ciera started idling rough, dying, popping and smelling burnt inside the car. Is this the timing belt going? The belt is still intact? Is the engine ok?

Asked by Jan 13, 2013 at 05:25 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

Rough idle and popping could be a rich fuel mixture entering the catalytic converter. That would give you the burning smell. I don't think that GM uses timing belts. Which engine do you have?

They don't. Have belts that is. the applications for that car were the 2.3 I 4,The engine was a modern design for its time, using a cast-iron block and an aluminum head. Even though belts were more popular for this purpose on OHC engines at the time, chains were used to time the camshafts to the crankshaft...... and other options that year were the 2.8 V6, 3.1 V6 3.4 V 6 all of which use timing chains