What's wrong? 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

Asked by Jul 15, 2015 at 08:51 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL Sedan FWD

I have a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera that has 73,000 miles on it. An older lady
owned it before the guy I bought it from and she only did in town driving. I took the car
on a trip to Oregon and on our way back we had just pulled in to Kennewick at a stop
light. Light turned green and I stepped on the gas but it did not go. It has been slightly
looked at and the guy said it shifts into gear just fine but it's like there is not enough
pressure to get it to go. I really need help figuring out what it is. I am moving to Oregon
in a month and need my car. I'm a single mom and can't afford to go buy a new car
again. PLEASE HELP

79,135

When you step on the gas does the engine revv like it's in neutral but you don't move? If so, it's going to be the transmission. The only cheap remedy I've seen work for a dying transmission is a product called TransX. You must follow the instructions on the can to the letter though. But if that doesn't "fix" it, I'd get rid of the car. Even if it does "fix" it you'll be on borrowed time. If the transmission is dying it'll cost more to fix than the car's worth. That money would be better spent on a down payment on something newer. HTH. -Jim

Did you ever figure out what was wrong because my 95 does the same thing

10

I have a cutlass 93 I can drive it for like 15min an when I come to a stop the car just cut off so I start it back up n try n put it in drive it will cut off until 15 minutes of sitting then I can drive it again. Trying to find out wz wrong