92 cutlass ciera 3300 starts and runs on 5 cylinders, with number 3 spark plug wire off. when you put the number 3 spark plug wire on, wont start. ant ideas?

Asked by Mar 05, 2014 at 07:54 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

The car sat for four years. Had to install new fuel pump and filter and clean out the fuel tank. Ran fine. I noticed a small water drip when I parked the car. The next day took a short trip. On the way back the car began run rough and stumble and barely made it into the drive way. I replaced the spark plugs and plug wires. The car would not start and run. I discovered when I took the number 3 spark plug wire of the car would start and run, when I put the number three spark plug wire on it would not start and run. Thinking it may have blown a head gasket I checked the oil and water, and is not mixed like a blown head gasket, no milk shake! replaced spark plugs but same problem. can it be a gasket were only water is getting in cylinder 3 or maybe an intake manifold gasket leak. there is good spark from the number three spark plug wire? Any ideas? Thx

36,705

I think you have a stuck or broken valve. Do a compression check on #3. If no compression, your valve is stuck.

Sounds to me like you may have a bad coil pack