When does the Timing Belt need changing? AC Problem

Asked by Oct 03, 2007 at 12:17 AM about the 1995 Nissan King Cab 2 Dr XE Extended Cab SB

I'm considering buying this. It has 135K and I don't think the timing belt has ever been changed. Does anyone know when does it need to be changed and about how much will it cost at a shop (NYC prices are 97/hr)? Also, how many hours of labor should it take a professional mechanic/ Could it have damaged anything by leaving it this long?
Also the owner said he went to recharge the AC and something popped. Now it won't work. He's also been driving it like this. Does anyone know if he could have damaged anything? What could the problem be? What needs to be changed? How uch labor time do you think? And any cheap places for these parts? Can any be bought used? Any good sites for this?
Thanks in advance

42,925

You will most likely find that there is no damage caused by letting the timing belt or chain go unreplaced if it has not broken -- in which case, the vehicle would not run. Replacement cost can range from 2-6 hours depending on vehicle specifics. The A/C could be a lot of issues, most likely the pressure transducer was broken when he tried to overpressurize the system with the freon bottle. Have this checked by a mechanic if you are worried about cost before purchasing it. AC repairs can get expensive and often times factory or rebuild parts are the only options.

Best Answer

Thanks a million. Unfortunately while I was waiting to find out, the Nissan was sold. But I'll know for the next time. At how manymiles is the timing belt/ chain supposed to be changed? Is it a belt or chain? Thanks again. Mop

5,125

Most manufacturers recommend this service at about 100,000 miles these days, although I think that it used to be like 60,000 miles. It can be either a belt or a chain depending on what engine is in question. The terms are generally used interchangeably, however there is a difference between the two.

55

if your truck is a v-6 you will need to get a timing belt changed but if it is a 4 banger it has a good ol timing chain that never needs replacement until it is noticibly worn or breaks. as for a c i would leave it broken mine is and rolling the windows down is the best ac