is it possible to adapt a trailer hitch from a 95 toyota 4runner to a 2002 mitsubishi montero sport

40

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 01:48 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD

16,045

with a welding torch I could adapt a trailer hitch from a Hummer to fit a Bug, question is ,is it worth your money to get a welder or is it cheaper to buy the hitch that is designed for your car

Best Answer
229,035

Not worth customizing, plus if it's a few years old, it's probably rusty as heck. Go here........www.etrailer.com

16,045

I learned a new symbol and everytime I am being sarcastic I'll throw it in. Restating my original answer - I could adapt a hitch from a Hummer to fit a Bug but is it worth your money to do that. :) Cheaper to buy one. That was my answer. Where he buys the hitch is up to him. You seem to have all kinds of web addresses to send people so I'll guess you helped him to find a reliable place to buy a quality hitch.

40

OK, what's the new symbol? :)? Well, thanks for the advice and the sarcasm, which is my nature as well :), Due to lack of funds I was just hoping there was a cheap, quick, doable way to pop that baby on there but, alas, my hopes have been dashed. So as I slide off to the corner to sulk for a bit, please know that I do, indeed, appreciate being told what I pretty much surmised anyway and in a timely manner also.

16,045

Don't sulk too much and I kind of knew that you already knew the answer and you wanted someone else to help let the moths out.:)

3,795

I have been selling/installing aftermarket accessories, including hitches for 19 years. Each trailer hitch is designed for a specific vehicle to properly fit the frame and to meet the towing needs of that vehicle. You should NEVER modify a hitch or put it on a vehicle it was not designed for. You should also never take a used hitch and put it on another vehicle. There are too many factors to take into account that you can run into on the road with the wrong towing package or with parts of questionable origin. Best case, your trailer comes loose and gets damaged. Worst case, someone gets killed because you were too cheap to do it right. There are many areas of vehicle customization that are open to individual interpretation, but towing should be done right or not at all.

16,045

@madmopar- read the above- EVERYBODY involved recognized the humour ....good heavens I said a HUMMER TO A BUG and even put in a smiley face. Lighten up.:)

Well, I guess I have been properly chastised so thank you mm for bringing the dangers of improper customization to my attention. You are absolutely right and I certainly wouldn't want to cause someone's death. Ok, maybe a couple but, trust me,I wouldn't use a trailer. And C, I appreciate your humor. After being spanked you brought a smile. :-)

16,045

glad to give out smiles,thanks

Ok, what are your thoughts on using the 4 runner luggage rack on my mitsy since I'm about to start drilling and.screwing. Would that be improper customization as well?

16,045

nah - probably carry lots of stuff while on those long road trips :-)

Now that's funny! \(*_-)/ 5 dogs of the large kind and my "be prepared" tools and water obsession leave little room for stuff and I've never been known to travel light. My one flaw (did I say that). I shall commence to drilling and screwing then. Thank you for your input.

16,045

travel prepared and travel safe---that's my motto....oh---and carry a MAP cause I hate to ask directions [ from people or a stinking GPS that wants to tell me what to do]

Mute is the answer. My phone has become my brain sad to say. Felipe, my phone, is pretty good with muted directions except for that one time when we ended up in Missouri. I'm not gonna say where we were supposed to be. :-)

One other thing, I'm with you on the asking people for directions. Ended up, well never mind.

16,045

Lmaofomc........:-):-)

40

Laugh my ass off ??? ? never mind i googled it 'falling off my chair'. Dahhh I'm so out of the loop, might as well still be in missouri, you know the show me state. ;>)

40

Can i get in trouble for continuing to post. It says post your answer but i think its more like texting. Is it bad forum etiquette or what? Dang, now that is a question so maybe i should have put this in the question spot. Chassy, you seem to be the expert here, I'm so confused or maybe it's dazed. Ha kidding, no i am confused but not dazed.

16,045

I don't know for sure,THIS SITE IS THE FIRST TIME THING for me. CAR TALK between car owner's & lovers HAS to be MORE THAN -"change your oil". An awful lot can be learned and gleened from other's experience (whether specific to a single problem or general knowledge).Just letting a younger person ( any person) know that there are vast differences between manufacturers,models,and years is CAR KNOWLEDGE passed along. I don't think car owner's should only know how to steer; these are multi pound pieces of metal travelling at high speed --any knowledge about how they work is useful to someone that doesn't know. Just simple things like letting people know that some things shouldn't be modified is important car knowledge,Letting people know that some diy is beyond a newbie's grasp is important.Letting people know that they shouldn't run the gas gage to E is important to know. and even getting you to open your wallet and do what you already knew was the thing to do is providing support to another driver. That's my take (or some of it) on helping drivers learn about & appreciate the responsibility that comes with being a CAR owner.

3,795

Glad to be of help. @chassy, you have no idea the plain scary crap I have seen over the years. unfortunately, I know a few people that would actually have thought you were giving them good advice. :-)

16,045

point taken;but I really did add a wink and a nod .