won't start after replacing heads and timing belt 3.0 mitsubishi montero

50

Asked by May 13, 2014 at 06:27 PM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES

Just replaced the timing belt on my 2000 mitsubishi montero 3.0 timing marks are dead
on number 1 piston is up, firing order is right but it still won't start, its tries but no go and
it cranks normal then it like drags while cranking then cranks normal again ive replaced
both cylinder heads also due to bent valves need help im stumped any advise would be
appreciated thanks also a strong smell of gas with no visible leaks thanks

working on same will let you no if you have figured it let me no please e- mail me at simbablue@q.com thank you

70

I had that issue with my 95 LS, and I discovered it was the Camshaft Position Sensor. It dumps fuel in all cylinders, then after 4 seconds of no communication with the Brain it turns the Injectors off. It is next to the drivers side Cam pulley, and mine fired right up after i replaced it. Do you have a check engine light on?

50

Ive replaced the cam sensor still won't start, could it be the crankshaft sensor?

50

Yesterday I found the cams were 180 reset that and now it cranks much better but still wont start up, it seems like its trying any suggestions?

10

I had the same issue with my Montero Sport 3.0. Turns out I had several issues. First. one of my camshaft gears was rotated into the wrong position. Second the crankshaft sensor was bad. Once these 2 issues were corrected it fired right up. We used an engine scanner that verified the crankshaft sensor was bad. This sensor can be found just above the crankshaft gear. Two bolts hold it in place.

the lil pick up plate on the back of the crank timing gear must be right if not it will do this I had this problem for a week now.. I noticed it and fixed it truck fired right up