car doesn't want to take gas

10

Asked by Apr 24, 2014 at 07:11 PM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES

My Montero sport 2000 has a problem with acting as if it doesn't want to take gas.  I can cut the car off and start it again and it will eventually catch up.  I have had air flow sensor and two oxygen sensors changed, the fuel filter changed and gas tank drained.  The tank was fine.  Spark plugs and wires have also been changed.  Any suggestions.  My mechanic is at his wits end.

6,195

what do you mean by "doesn't want to take gas" ? and what do you mean by catch up ? are you saying it floods out ? if so have you had the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) checked ?

10

When you try to excel it hesitates and then it will eventually take off. Most of the time I have to cut the car off and retart and riv the motor up to get it going again.

6,195

theres no check engine light on?

10

Oh yes, I failed to mention that. The engine light has been on the whole time. He would fix something and then it would come right back on. When it gets hooked up to the computer it always indicates something to do with fuel intake etc.

6,195

can you give the exact code/s and if possible the description/s

10

P0170 Fuel trim problem Bank 1

6,195

its your oxygen sensor

6,195

how long have you driven it with this problem going on? that code is talking about running too rich and that will kill a catalytic convertor.. it might be fine just get the oxygen sensor changed and and then see how it runs

10

He changed the oxygen sensor (2 of them) Been running like this for a few years and just got worse. Every other mechanic I had just didn't know or didn't care enough to find the problem. I even had it checked out at the Mitsubishi dealership. They put it on some kind of exhaust testing for an entire weekend. They came back to tell me that it was likely that the catalytic converter was the problem and that it was slowly crumbling inside which was causing the issue sporadically. Every mechanic I told would say no, no that's not the problem. I had a car with that problem before and it acted the same way. They just would not believe me, I guess because I am a woman. They would say that it would be cherry red. One even said, when it dies, I'll fix it. I have had to repair many things just trying to solve my problem. In fact, the real problem could have caused the other problems to occur. I cannot afford another car. I just need this one fixed.

6,195

well I would go with a new catalytic convertor then if you've been running rich for that long the cat is surely dead by now

6,195

how you coming along with this problem??

20

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check for a vacuum leak. Sounds like its running lean.

10

Daniel, I printed out our conversation and gave it to my mechanic. Haven't moved forward as of yet, but will. Thanks

6,195

right on let me know what happens

10

Sure thing! Had to stop on my vehicle and work on another one.

10

Try a smoke test to see if you don't have a vaccum leak