2002 Eclipse GT - Bad crankshaft position sensor?

10

Asked by Jul 14, 2016 at 08:44 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Spyder

Hello everyone, I own a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder Manual Transmission and I think I might have a bad crankshaft position sensor.

It all started when I was driving home one day last week, the car suddenly turned off without warning. I pulled it into a gas station parking lot while it was off to investigate what could have happened.

I tried to turn it over, but it wasn't starting. I noticed that my engine was getting fuel, but there didn't seem to be any spark. My distributor was receiving a current but was not giving one out, so I replaced it.

After replacing it, my car sounded HORRIBLE. I drove it home from the shop that was at the gas station, but it was VERY under powered, almost like it was misfiring from every cylinder. The idle RPMs are very sluggish and it wont rev past 4k RPM in idle without sounding like it's dying.

I checked the engine codes with my diagnostics reader and found two new codes that I've never seen before;

P0340
P0335

They both have to do with the crankshaft position sensor.

It feels like everything is misfiring but there's no code for a misfire on any cylinder.. Also, my car seems to start every time. If the crankshaft position sensor was bad, wouldn't it not start at all?

Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated since this car is my daily.

Just for more info, my full list of engine codes are;

P0175
P0171
P0403
P0660
P0304
P0335

The timing belt kit is brand new and I tested the timing, all of the spark plugs/wires are good, and the compression in the cylinders are decent.

it sounds like time timing is off. if the belt missed the marks it would run like that