Why is my driver side floor wet after using the ac?

15

Asked by Jan 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Spyder

I have an 01 spyder eclipse gt convertible. When i use the ac sometimes it will work and
sometimes not. Also, the driver side floor will be soaking wet the next day. has anyone
had this problem or have an idea of what it could be?

...because the evaporator vent tube is plugged...this one goes from the dash and exits at the base of the firewall...perfect for bugs to lay eggs in and PLUG the tube up...making an aquarium of your heater box~ what you must do is find the exit tube and either blast it with an air blast or poke the debris through from the other side...might have to peel back a bit of carpeting to find it~

okay this suffers from a deformed foam pad at the firewall~

think this is the firewall view~

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_Evaporator_Drain_Tube_Location_ on_a_Mitsubishi_Eclipse

We're okay with this information?~

15

Yeah thanks alot!

I just bought a GT with this problem, and I found four comments that might help. 1 i removed the battery tray to get to the drain tube. it is a stubby pipe thru the firewall about the middle of the car. i put a 1" long piece of 5/8 i.d. hose to keep the water from draining back into the car. i have not had any problems. 2 If you remove the solid breather pipe that runs from your air filter to engine, acess to the fire wall where the a/c drain is will be accesable.(may have to lift the fire wall insulation out of the way). The drain is about as round as a nickel and only sticks out about a half inch. 3 The A/C drain on your eclipse is under the hood up against the driver's side firewall. It is behind the black padding that coats the firewall. If looking at it from the front of the hood.... you have to lift the lower right corner of that black MAT(coats the firewall) to expose the A/C drain. Remove the air intake assembly to get better access to the drain. Use a a long PRY bar so that once the mat is lifted you can leave the bar there as you gain access to the drain. Yes it only sticks out about a 1/2 inch. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the heater core. MY wife was filling the coolant system with water, thus the water in the floor. I flushed the radiator and added the Preston green 50/50 coolant and continued using the A/C to find that now I had the coolant in the cabin indicating the heater core needed replacing. Once the A/C was on I could see the coolant trickling down in the cabin. It was right behind the gas pedal and coming from right above the A/C drain(black plastic hose right behind the gas pedal) and I followed the green coolant down to my carpet. Hope this helped and good luck