when I plug in the MAF the car wont run rpm wont go past 4k. I did the diagnose and its giving me P1500 code which relate to the generator/alternator. I check the battery, alternator, its fine

20

Asked by Mar 27, 2012 at 02:52 PM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 2 Dr GS Convertible

when I plug in the MAF the car wont run. even if u rev the gas, rpm wont go past 4k.
but when I unplug the MAF it will run normal but the engine light is on. so farr I
replace 02sensor, map, throtte sensor, MAF, EGR, and clean the idle air control and
still the same, it didnt resolve the problem. I brought the car to the shop to have it
diagnose, and its reading P1500 code which is generator/alternator. I have tge
battery, alternator, and wires harness tested and everything is normal. as far as the
voltage.  can somebody help me and tell me what ishould I do to fix the problem.
thanks

185

What was the voltage going into battery,anything over 14.7 volts is not good.Also check the reference voltage at the M.A.F sensor input voltage should be 5.0 volts,you may get a reading of 4.7 to 5.0 volts that is ok but not ok if it's below 4.5 or more than 5.0 volts check these first post your results and we will go from there.

20

i did check the voltage from the battery which is 14.7 meaning its good. and the MAF sensor is 5.0, alternator is 10.9. according to the test results, these are normal.do you have any idea on what might be the problem? im beginning to think its the ecu.

185

The 10.9volts at the alternator was that taken while the system was under load,using an alternator battery load tester.Need to know how you got the 10.9volts.

185

You have an open circuit either inside the alternator (FR terminal, pin 4, green wire) or a bad connection (open circuit) from this terminal to pin 41 of the ECU (could even be the ECU, but least likely). Check this 4 pin connector first. Then measure voltage on pin 4 while turning headlights on - voltage should drop. The ECU uses this signal to control idle speed when heavy electrical loads are turned on.

20

i did check all 4 wires including the ground wire that is connected to the battery and everything is fine. at this point the only problem i suspect is the ECU. do you have other idea ? thanks

185

Check the voltage going into the ECU first before changing parts that are non returnable,engine off should be battery voltage so measure terminal voltage first then ECU voltage,they should be the same.Any more than .5 voltage drop you have a problem with resistance,keep me posted.drdc

10

Does a 1998 Eclipse Spyder GS have a voltage regulator ??