Issue with the front of the car shaking when I push on the brake petal while im stopped and in drive

Asked by Mar 24, 2013 at 01:33 AM about the 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 2 Dr GS-T Turbo Convertible

I have an issue with the front of the car shaking when I push on the brake petal while im stopped and in drive. The shaking is worse when I am downhill. So today I replaced the front brake pads and front rotors. I still have the shaking but not as bad.
**The shaking does not happen when I am in any other gear only when I am in drive while stopped and pushing on brake petal.**

Please let me know if you can help diagnose :)

.... I feel have been ripped off be several mechanics "bait and switch" salesmen! ha ha

Calipers sticking? not releasing right?

Hey jonesify, yes- this is true they are mounted 'pon slides two each side. They use a special caliper grease, volvo insisted I use this grease for the job. I'm actually more concerned with the wheel bearings. You ever had them repacked as part of routine maintenance...the way to check them is to put your jack under that side and lift the wheel off the ground....push pull in out twist and see just how much play and how easy it is to affect the steering gear....both sides to get a I do believe this car has front wheel drive, which has problematic constant velocity joints who's boots let go all the grease, then you hear a click clak clik clak like a pony when you turn at first then grind and seize next...but if you've gotten under there and poked at them with a phillips screwdriver to see if the boots are still doin' alright, whew, that's one less thing to have to trouble with. One wheel rollin better than the other is quite troublesome indeed and needs to be addressed. Did you lift up both wheels by putting a jack front and center and looksee which wheel is holdin' up the show, or is this just a guess?

you know you could inspect the axles, both the constant velocity joints one at each end...just how many miles on this mitsubishi engine? you did not say.

You're stopped and in gear. Brakes and hub are stationary. They won't cause shaking. The engine is running and that is what is shaking. I suspect loose motor and transmission mounts.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks for all these answers :) * Perhaps axeles,both constant velocity joint? * Wheel bearing need repacked? Some of these issues have recently been fixed (see below) and are under warranty (maybe the "new motor and transmission mounts" were not replaced properly due to a "horribly bad" bait and switch" mechanic ) MITSUBISHI Eclipse 1997 Turbo Convertible MINT CONDITION - 62,000 miles Black/Tan leather Interior Alloy Mitsubishi Rims/New Wheels Kick Ass Stereo System Quality Tires Fog Lights Power Automatic Windows/Roof (1 previous owner for 13 years) new transmission mount new rack and pinion new valve cover gasket new R/R transmission gasket new battery holder 2 new motor mounts 4 new brake pads 2 new front rotors new complete head gasket new oil cooler unit new water pump new bypass hose

wow. that's a lotta stuff. The part that throws up a red flag are the custom items...what if you don't want them custom anymore...seems like a one-way street with some of the cutting they might do to the dash for always leary of "kick-ass stereo", why is this a priority with this owner, and what was sacrificed so that it could have a "kick ass stereo" chances are he traumatized a few things while installing this stereo in my opinion, have seen this type of butchering to the original configuration so a more poundy soundy is gonna happen, no matter what.

funny how the motor and transmission mounts were recently replaced, perhaps a "bad mechanic" definitely going back as under warranty and will have to be replaced again or money refunded that's for sure. Thanks!

jude_roy_beans how are the axels going to make the car shake when stopped ?? just asking because I don't see how but maybe its just something I don't know about

who said it was stopped?

She said that was fixed anyways? Why you pickin' on the cripple pushin' him to walk faster with a cane, think I've met you before.

When a problem occures that is difficult to pinpoint always start with the least your case I would start off by changing your rotars..warped rotars will do exactly what your car is doing. Good luck

Good point and is spelled rotors, like that ride that would go round and round you'd stick to the walls with g-forces and the bottom would return causing lawsuits and injury or death.

the op did "The shaking does not happen when I am in any other gear only when I am in drive while stopped and pushing on brake petal" and whats it matter if it was fixed I was curious why it would do that , my curiosity isn't dependent on it being fixed or not

I try to help everyone is as the numbers will helpin? the numbers will testify. occasionally guessin' it wrong comes with the territory. How you ever going to be right if you never take a whack at it?

dude what the hell you talking about I simply asked how would the axels make the car shake when the car is stopped that's all ... I asked so you could enlighten me that's all, trying to learn something .. get a grip already geez, and is the problem fixed? because I don't see that stated that it is

are you helpin' this customer Daniel, or you just playin' the fiddle?

Lighten up JUDGE