Windshield wipers

securityman802
0

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 02:48 PM about the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate

My wipers stopped last week and the next day they started working okay and today they don't work on slow or intermitt and only work on high speed and the washer wiper doesn;t work

I'd clean battery ground to chassis connection with a wirebrush to insure solid ground connection to the chassis~

24,105

Yeah dont worry with the battery ground thats not the issue here. Its could be the motor but sounds like the switch would be more likely in this case.

19,465

Listen to kbro - that multifunction switch messes up frequently. Especially since the wipers don't usually get used for months at a time and the switch is at the very end of a lever that does get used all the time. There would be more failures than only the wipers if it were a ground concern.

levna22
30

a car dealer is charging me$ 310.00 to fix thwe problem with the wind shield wipers

John Demers
345

Sorry Guys so far you are all wrong.I have the same issue and changed out the Multifuction Switch and every thing you all said.It looks to me that it might be the Light Control Module LCM..That is the only thing that I have not looked into.The Windshield wiper motor receive power from the following. 1. Multifunction switch 2.Lighting control Module 3.ignition switch 4.battery junction box 5.central junction box.The following components are integrated into the wiper motor.1.Wiper motor module. 2.high/low speed relay.3.run/park sensor-Hall effect.4.washer pump relay.I am still looking into this so please contact me if you would like me to fax what I have on this it is about 17 page's all about Diagnosis and Testing Wipers and Washers System.I would post it but have never uploaded to this site before.Please e-mail me if you need this paper work.This is for all 2004 grand marquis and covers Crown Vic and Marauder. So I will get back to you on this.Hope I can help someone.

24,105

just because you changed the switch on yours and that didn't fix it doesn't mean that's its not the problem in this case. there isn't one fix for every problem. The motor does not receive power from the LCM. When the wipers are turned on, the LCM receives a momentary power input on circuit 28 (BK/PK), indicating the wiper motor has passed through a parking position. At this time the LCM supplies 12 volts on circuit 502 (GY), which powers the low beams of the headlamps. This feature is not available with the police package. The LCM does not effect the operation of the motor or switch it just receives a signal as previously stated.

John Demers
345

ha ;Kbro,guy I never said that there is a one fix for all.And I am not trying to tell you anything,and there is no one fix all.I am stating that the post above is a problem that is very close the same that I have.And yes you are correct about what you stated as to LCM is word for word for the Safety Feature is what you are stating which i agree.AND on the LCM yes that is correct but my thought is that is the LCM giving the Momentary power Might it be shorted I don't know yet I just stated that I did not check it that it might be an issue.And yes you are most correct that feature is not available with the police package.Look I am trying to help not get into a who knows what issue.I try not to just put parts into it until it works but in this case the most obvious cause looked to be the same thing you said the Multifunction Switch,I tried that first then started looking to this site to see if anyone had the same issue.Let me tell you what I did 1st and maybe we can work to solve this for the better good and that everyone with lighting-wiper issues might get the help they need without spending money for part's we all know cost to much, I will do some pinpoint test on the the wiper motor seeing we have all those integrated components in the motor, And by the way my wiper switch is in the off mode and my wipers are working in delay mode,what I ment stating as we had the same type of issue was that we both had it happen the same way,the issue was there one day and came back,neverless the wipers are the issue and I will keep checking until I find it.Sorry if you think I was out of line but in my experience nothing get ruled out until the issue is solved.

19,465

"Sorry Guys so far you are all wrong" - yup, sounds like the voice of authority. In our Fleet of 800+ Crown Vic Police Interceptors (same car - more equipment) this is a common problem. Not to say that it can't be something else but, the Multifunction switch is the MOST COMMON FAILURE. kbro isn't stupid.

John Demers
345

Tracy; I do not feel kbro is is stupid I honestly think the opposite because he came right out word for word the action that was most obvious and seems to have his facts.Look I might have stated that comment different might I thought you were going to be offended.So I will take your comment. So let it go from here it is not productive I all ready posted what I wanted to say to kbro and it seems he has the stones to say whats on his mind.Sometimes the obvious does not apply.Fist of all I have not seen the guy repost so maybe he took it in to the dealer or the obvious worked in his case he changed out his multifunction switch.In my case it is not the corrective answer. But tell you what just to let other know what the issue is I will get back to this page just so others might look at whatever other issues are out there.I will state it again sorry if you felt offended in some of my wording.I meet not to be a know it all.

24,105

Its all good no hard feelings. Except to judge roy. Get so tired of all his answers saying clean the battery ground for any given issue. Oh you have a vibration? Better clean the battery ground that will take care of it!

John Demers
345

Thanks Kbro,all good on this side. seeing you are here I thought I might tell you of a post on this same site that the guy has a 2007 grand marquis and It was almost what I would of said to get to the detail of my issus.it is below in the related questions listed as wipers go on in delay mode. see what you think about that he stated his wiper motor started a fire and he had to put it out.let me know what you feel about that .thanks

24,105

Sounds like the motor was at fault. I have put lots of wiper motors on along with switches. In his case if the motor clicks that means its getting power and ground. Sounds like he got a bad motor.

John Demers
345

that was the direction I was going today but it started to downpour rain on me.That's what I was talking about when they integrated into the wiper motor.1.Wiper motor module. 2.high/low speed relay.3.run/park sensor-Hall effect.4.washer pump relay. I was thinking that a short inside the motor might cause an issue,Also I forgot to tell that my light went on while set in auto mood and when this started I was able to shut them off with the switch.I have half the job done just need to take the 3 bolts out to the wiper motor.This guy said he replaced his motor but after the fire.I have not figured out why the lights came on yet but I do think it could be related to that temp signal .We will see soon. Thanks I will get back to you when I install new motor,It take me some time I get a lot of pain when bending into an engine due to past problem,but thanks it gives me a better feeling some thinks it might be the same.good job.

@ John...wipers not working...I recommend using a product called "rain-x" is very effective and makes it so you don't even need any wipers...I kid you not...have had the same bottle for twenty years~!

....while you're in there you should "bench test" the motor to make sure that it is okay....and the module or GROUND to the system is at fault~

24,105

Judge I still don't like you or your answers you are a obnoxious person. your the one whom cussed me out in a private message. or have you forgot that already, that would be convenient. there really is something wrong with you. If you have something good to ad that's fine just don't address me in any of your answers. I'm over you and all your non sense.

How long can you expect to survive disrespecting the judge? 42,985 does not happen by itself, my friend~ am quite finished with you and your bad attitude~ CarGurus has been notified...simply because of your "attacking an individual" numbers are out of this world...people notice when you are a naughty boy~...mr. too much of a coward to show your face~!

24,105

Who did i attack? So yeah you have multiple accounts to boost your score. Gurus was also on your case about the ridiculous private message you sent me. Ive neved cussed you out. Go else where and leave me alone i have asked you enough

24,105

Ive never have disliked anyone ive never met before but you took the cake on that. I still have the message you sent me if you want me to post it again?

24,105

so you were saying? I didn't attack anyone. I simply gave correct information to someone who said I was wrong. But I guess that considered attacking people now. If I'm attacking people what would you call that message? Like I said just leave me alone I am sick of you.

24,105

Without using foul words unlike some. Just saying.

19,465

@ kbro - the dude's a loser. Just continue to let him be a loser. The integrity, honesty and helpfulness you (and a few others) demonstrate on this forum far outweigh anything this pathetic "Battery Changer " has to offer.

24,105

Well said Tracy. He just gets on my last nerve sometimes. I just need to learn to ignore it.

John has discovered the 'delete' feature...has NOT bench tested the unit NOR has tried RAIN-X, but dismisses this product as not a thing before giving it the ole' college try...kbro....what can I say, other than you have to spend time in an Engineering office to understand these politics...which your "get along with everyone" biscuit is being revealed...never have I done anything to try and annoy you my friend, but when it came time to hand out the carguru caps....you were not asked of your address...neither tracy...what's the Idea of having two faces on the avatar? now you know who you are talkin' to....a motor.~

19,465

I'm just getting started on CarGurus and you cheat. Engineer? They don't live in the real world.

...never said I was an Engineer...a Mechanical Design Draftsman....temp rude hack with no bennies~ a mechanic was perfectly brutal work, with brutal people...but stuck by myself as their Sunday guy with tow-ins lording above you...tappin' their foot, askin' when they will be able to drive out of there is as rough a playfield as it gets for "an expert on All makes foreign and domestic"....am glad someone loves you tracy...not sure how YOU came to be a GURU~

24,105

When tracy gives an answer its an intelligent one. He's a guru on crown vics and similar body styles for sure. While others are telling people that ford diesels have timing chains......you know who you are. And thats just one example of many. As for my avatar get over it. I'm a motor with a large super charger and my battery to chassis ground are clean and tight i can assure you. My windshield wiper motor may not work but no worries i have rain x on my side im good to go. Disclaimer: rain x is awesome i use it. Bur its not a fix for a inop. Safety feature on your vehicle.

jksme
10

Mine would only work on high...2005 Mercury Marquis I was told it was the Wiper Motor...300.00 later...they work.

W8RJL
20

Hey guys, I have a 2010 Grand Marquis that the wipers will not turn off. The off position is a little faster than the slowest intermittent position. Right now I have pulled the 30 amp fuse in the fuse/relay box under the hood. I need some schematics so I can troubleshoot. The switch (speed and push for fluid) I assume is what you are calling the multifunction switch feels good but that does not mean much. Any suggestions. Thanks, Ron

Rick Hollins
30

1992 marquis wipers stop working. I was hearing clicking and the wipers were twitching for a while before they stopped. I've changed the switch, the module, and the motor and they still won't work.....help me please!!!!!!

peeton
35

i have a 1997 grand marquis and the wipers stopped working. I dont hear any clicks nothing? Before when wipers wouldnt come on i would play with switch to make wipers come on but now nothing? It froze at a quarter up the windshield. I wiggled it thinking it might take of but nothing. Is this the turn switch signal where its all connected to each other with lights blinker and windshieldwasher/ can anyone help me? Thanks Peeton

Pyrate
10

Similar same wiper problem on my elderly mother's Grand Marquis. Question: Does anyone makes replacement parts for Ford/Mercury that are capable of lasting more than a few years?

GimpyNinja
0

My 97 Mercury Grand Marquis the windshield wipers are stuck in the up position and I didn't see the answer for this question here so please if you guys know the answer let me know what you. If any one here has this answer please email me spingle41mg@gmail.com fill free email me the answer anytime

DewMan24
20

I have a 2003 Mercury Marauder and the wipers started acting funny a few months ago. Sometimes they would work but wouldn't turn off other times they would turn on by themselves and near the end of the problem time with them they just wouldn't work if the car was running for a few minutes. At it happens a few weeks after the wipers started acting up the lights started up. They would turn on and off on their own and the only thing I could do was to turn them on all the time. I took the car in for the 14N01 recall and had the LCM replaced. Now not only are the lights working but also my wipers are just fine too. Not saying this will cure all ills but it did fix mine.

Kevin Hantz
0

How do I fix this I have a 2001 grand marquise my wipers work on high and turn signals don't work on the dash or in the back??