wipers go on in delay mode when turned off.

405

Asked by Sep 08, 2013 at 03:11 PM about the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

My wipers went on in delay mood while I was driving home and after a few minutes they stopped.After driving a few weeks it started doing it once more but this time did not stop and has been that way for 2 weeks which led me to stop driving the car.The first thing I did was check under the hood for any issues like wires damaged .I check all fuse's and found everything fine.This car has 42.300 miles on it and I received as a gift from my Dad New.I has only been serviced at the dealer and this is the first big issue I have had with this Car.I thought for sure it was the Mutifuction switch but I changed that and I am having the same issue.At this point I feel there is something going on here that is faking me out.I can't see the wiper motor the issue because for one thing the car very seldom used only to go to doctors appointment.I am disabled but can due some stuff.if someone has come across this type issue please contact me ,I might have to take it to a dealer,I hope not.Funds are not there now for that.if you can help I would be greatful.

21,775

Oftentimes it's the Multifunction Switch itself. Because the Wiper/Washer control is on the end of the Turn Signal Stalk, it gets a lot of use in a direction other that it was designed for. (Rotating Switch vs. linear motion). Sometimes, you can hear the Wiper Module under the dash clicking or almost rattling under the dash when you activate the wipers. 3 or 4 screws in the steering Column Cover and 2 Torx screws (T-20 or T-25) on the Switch. Pretty simple job.

405

changed mutifunction switch first'sorry did not state it.