my car will nt turn over not at all

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 03:29 PM about the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

i recently replaced the tension pulley and serpentine belt on my car and bought a new
battery bt when i try to start it it does nothing but the car was sitting in my yard fr six
months before i replaced parts and tried to start it

1,060

Please provide more clear and detailed informatio. Tried to starttg car and nothing means nothing at all. Does it crank (turn over) or not? Does it crank but not catch and run? Does it make a clickor clunk sound and nothing else while trying to turn it over?

1,695

More info. Do the lights come on? Does it turn over? Is the battery charged

brand new battery and there is no clicking or trying to turn over it does nothing i know its gtn power but now i am stumped tomorrow i am checing solenoid and starter any other suggestions would be greatlt appreciated thanks

1,695

Do the lights come on? That's the big question. How clean are the battery terminals? How about the battery ground cable. There are fusable links in the wires from the battery that can burn out. Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key? If all those are on, then sol and starter and links.

when i put in new battery i cleaned terminals well and checked ground cable all wires leading from battery no outward signs of any problems thank u for the tips and just to clarify by links u mean? relays?

oh and all lights come on too

1,695

The links look like thick wires leading from the battery terminal (pos). It's really beginning to look like starter or starter relay/solonoid. Those fuseable links can look ok on the outside, but be burned out inside. I'll look under the hood of mine tomorrow, it's a 2002

1,060

Use a multimerter and check for power at the starter without trying to turn over the motor. Then check for power at the starter solenoid while trying to turn over the motor. If there's no power then check your wiring, contacts, and relay. Lastly many parts shops can test the relay for free, as will add the entire starter. Layout you could have issues with the ignition switch, immobilizer or ECCM not sending a signal to the starter relay to start the motor.

50

Im having the same problem when I turn the ignition nothing happens lights won't turn on battery is @ 100% lights wont come bt will turn over from the solenoid bt wont crank no lights on dash at all PLEASE help

1,695

Ignition switch could be bad, or one of those fuseable links coming from the battery?

1,060

I'm leading towards yet another bad ignition switch buddy. You can buy it and change it yourself for $28-75 at the most from most jobbers or wholesale parts places in your local area. Seems to very common these days, but considering there are very few companies world wide, it's no wonder as many companies are using the same part.

120

I am having a no start no crack problem on a 2004 Grand Marquis. All lights come on in dashboard and all. Has a new battery that I know for a fact works can someone help?

1,695

Neutral lockout switch? Wiggle shifter. Starter relay? could be. Bad starter and/or solonoid. A possibility. Any anti-theft?

1,695

Bad ignition switch is another possibility, as stated.

20

What is the ECCM . I bought a starter switch, still nothing, I have no power at the starter solenoid when trying to start the car but I can put a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid and the car will trun over but not start. Can someone please help

1,695

Neutral lockout switch, or starter relay, if there is oe

20

My 98 mercury will not start or turn over some dash lights come on the air bag check engine and oil light. New battery new starter new ignition switch and cylinder. Head lights work please help

1,695

Neutral lockout switch? Starter relay? the jumper working shows the starter is OK. I suppose ignition switch is a posssibility also.

30

This happened to my '04 grand marquis. It was the PATS system. The key code in the chip in the key was not signaling correctly so the car wouldn't start. I had to use the spare key to start and the car and recode the original key.

30

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

10

To all of these. It sounds like we all have code problems... Locksmith can cut a blank key to reprogram from the door lock ... Then put the other key in the ignition.. If there's two keys... Then it should reprogram itself... Or the anti theft security need to be deactivated or a bypass

10

I have 2001 grand marquis Ls.. I changed my steering column BC my key was missing.. So after my car wouldn't start... It turns over no crank up THo. Lights work. Fuel pump cuts on everything.. Bur no crank up. Anti theft light blinks but blinks fast ... I checked injectors and gas shot THRU them.. So Wtf .??? Now Im trying the fuel injectors pressure regulator. .. Or it just simply needs reprogramming.... ???? OEM.? ICM.? O-Ring? Idk... Something in that sort

10

I have a 2004 Marquis that I don't drive much w/77,000 miles. I normally start it regularly but this time I haven't in a month. Yesterday when I went to move it I had to jump it and it started up without any issues. I let it run for 20 minutes so it could cjarge itself. After that, I let it sit for 30 minutes went back out and it started on its own. But the gas was pretty low so I turned it back off until I moved the other cars in the driveway. Now I go to started and it sounded like it was low on fuel so I put about 2 gallons in. Now I just got a single click, all lights and everything is functional. Even after trying to jump it one more time. I am still getting that click. Bad starter or solenoid?

1,695

Clean the battery cables. Put it on a charger. Do the lights dim when you try and start it? If so, battery terminals.

10

They dim a little with the bramd

10

With the old and brand new battery but not mich dimmers. It gives a strong power surge when turning the key/cranking.

1,695

What do you mean by power surge? It either turns over, or it doesn't. Maybe the starter or solonoid is bad. If the lights go dim when you turn the key, either the battery is low, or the cables are bad.

Laidbackjack82 what ever happened with the one click problem? My gfs 03 Marquis LS is doing the same exact thing with the one click, it'll either just click once and nothing or it starts and runs like a champ...