my car will nt turn over not at all

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 03:29 PM about the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

i recently replaced the tension pulley and serpentine belt on my car and bought a new
battery bt when i try to start it it does nothing but the car was sitting in my yard fr six
months before i replaced parts and tried to start it

Giulio Moro

Please provide more clear and detailed informatio. Tried to starttg car and nothing means nothing at all. Does it crank (turn over) or not? Does it crank but not catch and run? Does it make a clickor clunk sound and nothing else while trying to turn it over?

More info. Do the lights come on? Does it turn over? Is the battery charged

brand new battery and there is no clicking or trying to turn over it does nothing i know its gtn power but now i am stumped tomorrow i am checing solenoid and starter any other suggestions would be greatlt appreciated thanks

Do the lights come on? That's the big question. How clean are the battery terminals? How about the battery ground cable. There are fusable links in the wires from the battery that can burn out. Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key? If all those are on, then sol and starter and links.

when i put in new battery i cleaned terminals well and checked ground cable all wires leading from battery no outward signs of any problems thank u for the tips and just to clarify by links u mean? relays?

oh and all lights come on too

The links look like thick wires leading from the battery terminal (pos). It's really beginning to look like starter or starter relay/solonoid. Those fuseable links can look ok on the outside, but be burned out inside. I'll look under the hood of mine tomorrow, it's a 2002

Giulio Moro

Use a multimerter and check for power at the starter without trying to turn over the motor. Then check for power at the starter solenoid while trying to turn over the motor. If there's no power then check your wiring, contacts, and relay. Lastly many parts shops can test the relay for free, as will add the entire starter. Layout you could have issues with the ignition switch, immobilizer or ECCM not sending a signal to the starter relay to start the motor.

Alton Robinson

Im having the same problem when I turn the ignition nothing happens lights won't turn on battery is @ 100% lights wont come bt will turn over from the solenoid bt wont crank no lights on dash at all PLEASE help

Ignition switch could be bad, or one of those fuseable links coming from the battery?

Giulio Moro

I'm leading towards yet another bad ignition switch buddy. You can buy it and change it yourself for $28-75 at the most from most jobbers or wholesale parts places in your local area. Seems to very common these days, but considering there are very few companies world wide, it's no wonder as many companies are using the same part.