my car will nt turn over not at all

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 03:29 PM about the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

i recently replaced the tension pulley and serpentine belt on my car and bought a new
battery bt when i try to start it it does nothing but the car was sitting in my yard fr six
months before i replaced parts and tried to start it

930

Please provide more clear and detailed informatio. Tried to starttg car and nothing means nothing at all. Does it crank (turn over) or not? Does it crank but not catch and run? Does it make a clickor clunk sound and nothing else while trying to turn it over?

1,265

More info. Do the lights come on? Does it turn over? Is the battery charged

brand new battery and there is no clicking or trying to turn over it does nothing i know its gtn power but now i am stumped tomorrow i am checing solenoid and starter any other suggestions would be greatlt appreciated thanks

1,265

Do the lights come on? That's the big question. How clean are the battery terminals? How about the battery ground cable. There are fusable links in the wires from the battery that can burn out. Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key? If all those are on, then sol and starter and links.

when i put in new battery i cleaned terminals well and checked ground cable all wires leading from battery no outward signs of any problems thank u for the tips and just to clarify by links u mean? relays?

oh and all lights come on too

1,265

The links look like thick wires leading from the battery terminal (pos). It's really beginning to look like starter or starter relay/solonoid. Those fuseable links can look ok on the outside, but be burned out inside. I'll look under the hood of mine tomorrow, it's a 2002

930

Use a multimerter and check for power at the starter without trying to turn over the motor. Then check for power at the starter solenoid while trying to turn over the motor. If there's no power then check your wiring, contacts, and relay. Lastly many parts shops can test the relay for free, as will add the entire starter. Layout you could have issues with the ignition switch, immobilizer or ECCM not sending a signal to the starter relay to start the motor.

30

Im having the same problem when I turn the ignition nothing happens lights won't turn on battery is @ 100% lights wont come bt will turn over from the solenoid bt wont crank no lights on dash at all PLEASE help

1,265

Ignition switch could be bad, or one of those fuseable links coming from the battery?

930

I'm leading towards yet another bad ignition switch buddy. You can buy it and change it yourself for $28-75 at the most from most jobbers or wholesale parts places in your local area. Seems to very common these days, but considering there are very few companies world wide, it's no wonder as many companies are using the same part.

60

I am having a no start no crack problem on a 2004 Grand Marquis. All lights come on in dashboard and all. Has a new battery that I know for a fact works can someone help?

1,265

Neutral lockout switch? Wiggle shifter. Starter relay? could be. Bad starter and/or solonoid. A possibility. Any anti-theft?

1,265

Bad ignition switch is another possibility, as stated.

10

What is the ECCM . I bought a starter switch, still nothing, I have no power at the starter solenoid when trying to start the car but I can put a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid and the car will trun over but not start. Can someone please help

1,265

Neutral lockout switch, or starter relay, if there is oe

My 98 mercury will not start or turn over some dash lights come on the air bag check engine and oil light. New battery new starter new ignition switch and cylinder. Head lights work please help

1,265

Neutral lockout switch? Starter relay? the jumper working shows the starter is OK. I suppose ignition switch is a posssibility also.

This happened to my '04 grand marquis. It was the PATS system. The key code in the chip in the key was not signaling correctly so the car wouldn't start. I had to use the spare key to start and the car and recode the original key.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php