2002 mercury grand marquis turned off while i was driving and wont turn back on whats wrong

Asked by Feb 17, 2014 at 04:21 PM about the 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

I put in a new fuel pump bought a alternator checked the battery it sounds like its going to start but wont turn over I don't know if its the starter or the fuel injectors in the engine or something else if you have any ideas on what is wrong with it please let me know

63,065

Turn the ignition to the run position but don't try to start it. Listen for the fuel pump or have a helper remove the gas cap and put their ear near the filler. The fuel pump should run for about 3 seconds. If it doesn't, tap the fuel pump relay with the handle end of a screwdriver. If it will then start the fuel pump relay is bad. If not, try squirting some starting fluid down the throttle body. It should run a few seconds on that. If so, it's still a fuel problem. If not you're probably not getting spark. You'll have to check for spark at the plugs at this point. If you've got spark and fuel and it still won't run you'll have to do a compression test. If all cylinders test low it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim