2001 Marquis having alternator problems

Asked by Jul 07, 2014 at 12:59 PM about the 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

My 2001 Grand Marquis recently stopped and would not start again. After some diagnostics
I determined that the alternator wasn't charging properly and replaced it. A week later the
new alternator wasn't working and we replaced that one as well under warranty - it was
bench tested three times, passed once and failed twice. Each time the alternator was
replaced a volt meter showed the alternator was charging just fine 13.7 - 14.2 range.

Now two weeks later, and the other night I had the car's voltage meter show no charge, the
lights dimmed and the ABS and Traction control lights came on. When I got home I trickle
charged the battery as it was close to dead ( this is a 9 month old battery). I have checked
both connections and traced back the wiring they seem to be fine. I have replaced positive
and negative battery connections and traced back those wires, they also appear to be fine.
What am I missing here? The serpentine belt is less than a year old and the tensioner
seems to be working properly with no excess slack. Any ideas??

242,305

Have the alternator checked. When you say you bought a new alternator, was it really new or a remanufactured one?

Check the alternator wire.system from alt. to battery post. It can be faulty and need replacing. Bad wires dont necessarily look bad. One car I had only took a spare wire to test it, hooked up straight from one to the other. Car started and charged the battery right up. You will have to check on how your system works to keep from shorting things out. Most newer model cars need to be wired a certain way to test, or maybe use a test meter.