HOW MUCH IS LABOR? FOR A FRONT END JOB WITH THIS FRONT END KIT?

10

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 07:53 PM about the 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

THE SET INCLUDES:
- 2 UPPER BALL JOINT
- 2 LOWER BALL JOINT
- 2 INNER TIE ROD END
- 2 OUTER TIE ROD END
- 2 TIE ROD ADJUSTING SLEEVE
- 2 STABILIZER LINK (1998-2002 )
- 1 PITMAN ARM
- 1 IDLER ARM
- 4 UPPER CONTROL ARM BUSHING
- 2 SWAYBAR BUSHING
- 4 SWAYBAR BUSHING BOLT

I don't know the number of hours for that job, but mechanics, depending on where you are, charge anywhere from $50 to $100 an hour. Call a dealer and they will have a pre determined hours chart. But I don't recommend the dealer to do the work...they are the $100 place. But a reputable shop, can do that in the $50 to $80 range. An hour that is

as a ford tech,your looking at somwhere in the ball park of 6 hours labor for that repair,hope this helps

Best Answer

That does help fordtech, very much so. I was hoping somebody would come along that knows. I have no stake in this but on behalf of the OP, thanks.

21,765

Why not the Dealer? OEM parts (the ones your car was designed with) - Factory trained technicians that have access to all articles, revisions and knowledge based on your vehicle's manufacturer, one written warranty on the parts and labor (outside shops often have a hard time warrantying parts because they come from different vendors with different warranty policies and almost never cover labor). I understand you're trying to save a buck but, you are talking about your safety and a critical system in your car being done right. BTW - you forgot to include the labor for an Alignment. How's your tires after running on that worn out front end? I'm surprised that the individual that looked over your car didn't include shocks and a wheel bearing repack - that's about all they missed.

Point taken Tracy...valid points,,,,,.just cost.

5,955

Tracy sounds like a good mechanic as I've read his responses in other posts. I was gonna say 6-8 hours of work. including an hour for the frontend alignment. I would also do a tire rotation and balancing or have the front tires replaced before any alignment can be done correctly. Any reputable undercarriage shop should be able to perform the task hands down. No need to go to the Ford Dealer. You car is 11 years old and you will get burned on the exorbant labor rate at any new car dealership. Sorry Tracy, Tracy wants you to go to the dealer because he probably works at a Ford dealership and needs people like you to come in or he risks losing his high-paying job and I don't blame him for trying but the local Firestone or Goodyear dealer down the road should be able to take care of you. They do this stuff all day long on 10-15 year old cars. They will probably use Moog parts (The best of frontend parts manufacturers) or a similar brand that Ford uses anyway and puts their name on. So you are getting the same quality parts in this case with a lower labor rate. Let the Ford dealer servive the newer cars. I'm sure if you could afford the new car dealer's prices, you would be driving a brand new or newer Mustang instead of a 11 year old car. Normally these tire dealers charge about half of what a Ford dealer will charge and you'll probably have your car back the same day. The ford dealer isn't going to stock parts for your 11 year old car and will probably order them from the parts store down the street. The same place the tire dealer gets his parts. Warranties have nothing to do with safety and like I said any reputable shop should be sufficient and safe to use.. Good Luck. Kenny/MrBlueOval

21,765

Tracy RECOMMENDED the dealer. Tracy works on POLICE cars for a County Agency in California and could care less about dealerships! What I AM concerned about is getting the VALUE out of the dollars spent. I suppose your point about warranty not being a safety issue is true. Your message is more like - "this is the last front end work you'll ever have done on it anyway so why not go cheap?" I say "Go Quality"

5,955

No, I say go to a reputable shop not necessarily a new car dealer. he probably can't afford their prices. The quality will be the same as a dealership. I know, I worked at both over many years. If you could care less, why are you supporting them? You want to pay their prices, go right ahead. I wasn't downing you dude, just giving the guy what he can afford. You don't want to take food out of someone's mouth just to fix his car. Moog is TOP QUALITY parts, not cheap by no means. . Top of the line actually and that's what they probably use. Their labor rate will be much lower but the "Quality" will be the same.. Kenny/MrBlueOval.

21,765

I suggest that you calm down.

10

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ANSWERS I DID HAVE WORK DONE AT A VERY FAIR PRICE ALSO YES LETS CALM DOWN lol

20

Lol, I went to a Ford dealer to get just the plastic clippings, (2) that fit my fuel filter. You know the fuel filter, that cost like 8 bucks and is a breeze to replace. They charger me 17 bucks for 2 clippings. Autozone charged 3 bucks for 8. Unfortunately they wouldnt fit. So that is the kind of pricing you get at the dealership.