Lost keys to 2000 Grand Marquis Locksmith stumped- please help

Asked by Aug 02, 2015 at 03:48 PM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

I lost the only key in existence to my 2000 Grand Marquis. I call a locksmith thinking
no problem. I pay the 180 ( OUCH) and start my car. No dice. The locksmith spent over
3 hours and could not get the car to start. The key he made revs but does not turn my
engine over. Is this the infamous PATS II devilry? Dealership says they do not have
codes for cars as old as mine. Anyone else ever have this problem with a Mercury? Am
I just done? No key no car?

68,635

The key must be programmed to the car. Since you do not have 2 keys already programmed to the car it must be done by the dealer. Try another Ford dealer or call Ford's Customer Service number. I find it hard to believe that the Ford dealer can't do this. HTH. -Jim

I talking with Ford customer service rep now- she told me that they only keep the codes for 10 years. This is really scary am I just going to have a Mercury Grand Marquis paperweight?

Ok well I hate this car now- talked to very unsympathetic service person at the dealership who said will need the keys cut, maybe a NEW ignition. And he has no idea of an estimate. At this point I am beyond livid. Why on a 15 year old car should I have to have it towed to a dealership?

68,635

If you can get into the car with the key and it will turn the ignition lock you don't need the key code. What you need is to have the key programmed to the car so that the security system will recognize it and start the engine. This must be done at the dealership with a scan tool. Have you tried AAA? They have service facilities and lock out services. They work on member's and non-member's cars. They may be able to help since this is an older model. Explain that you have new keys but you need the keys programmed to the car so you can start and drive it. HTH. -Jim

Thanks Jim- the dealership is swamped and I can't even get a service guy on the phone. It was towed there yesterday at 1:30 and 24 hours later no estimate, no car.

49,295

When you get it fixed have an extra key made and put it somewhere safe.

68,635

You're welcome. Glad to help. - Jim