Timing chain replacement for a Grand Marquis 2000

20

Asked by Jan 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

My car won't start. Battery works fine, we already checked the fuel pump and we have
gas. Jumping it wouldn't do the trick either. I was told it could be the timing chain needing
to be replaced. How would you go about replacing a timing belt chain on a Mercury Grand
Marquis 2000? Could it be done by someone with little to no mechanical experience? How
much could it cost ie, hundreds, thousands? Thank you in advance!

238,075

it very well not be the chain, but if it is, it requires you to remove the front part of the engine off to access. Not a DIY or easy task. The procedure will cost around 1K for a shop to change it as your probably replacing other parts since your removing them.

20

any other reason it wouldn't start? anything we could do to check?

10

does it turn over?

90

Have you visually Inspected the Piston return sprigs for damage/cracked springs?

66,305

Run a compression test. If all cylinders test low it's jumped timing and the timing chain and sprockets will need to be replaced. As Tom said, not a DIY job. Have you checked that you have spark and fuel? HTH. -Jim

20

yes, it does turn over. I will look for damage/cracked springs next. I will also do a compression test. thank you all, I will get back to you.

10

If the check engine light is on, it could possibly be a cam or crank sensor. Get it scanned at a repair shop.

20

I just tried starting my car after adding a bottle of "Heet" and a bit more gas last night and it started! After running the car about 3 minutes it just killed, no special sounds just quit running. Does this give anymore clues to what's wrong? We're going to check the battery now because after we opened the door the car kept dinging like when you leave your headlights on or the keys in ignition. The battery light is also on on the dashboard. Thanks in advance!

30

What cause your car 2 cut off w hile driving and brakes get hard and cant the stern in a wheel Get hard ? And it was making a nockin noise bye the motor what can cause that?

I put a jumper wire from the fuel pump relay and edition switch relay and now starts every time. Make sure your cable clamps are tight.