Won't start after running out of gas - 2000 Grand Marquis LS,

20

Asked by Nov 01, 2013 at 01:16 PM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

This morning as I was driving to work, my 200 Grand Marquis LS quit on me for lack of
fuel. I have since put fuel in it, however, it will not start. The engine will just turn over, but
never "catch." The first thing that came to mind was the fuel pump. Is there anything else
besides the fuel pump that would cause a similar issue. It was working fine, and the fuel
pump was replaced about a year and half ago.

45

If its fuel injected. You must relieve pres on fuel rail. There should be a shatter value up there that looks like a valve stem and cap. Remove cap with key switch on to access. Caution fuel is under pres. on this valve. use caution when burping the air out of the fuel line. That should help. Sounds like you got air in the fuel line.

I tend to think the motor is toast.....replace~ confirm with an OHM meter~ https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=2000+Mercury+Grand+Marquis+fuel+pu mp&tbm=shop

what happens is the motor cools itself with the liquid gas....as you have removed all the liquid gas...had nothin' to COOL it and burned up....seen it quite a few times in my life~

ooooo might have a "kielbasa" these were outlawed shortly thereafter on account of a firey rollover crash and a nonstop spray~the new ones are safer~

20

reddota: I'll definitely try relieve any air that may have accumulated. I know exactly the valve you're talking about; I had to replace the o-ring on it about a year ago. judge_roy: Thanks for the info. If the first suggestion doesn't work, I'll definitely have to take it to my buddy who is a certified tech. He's been doing the work on that car for some time, now and I consider him more capable than me. I'll definitely mention the "kielbasa" suggestion as well. I don't understand how the motor would be toast, though... Would you mind elaborating on that topic?

yes...the fuel pump motor...not the car engine...I stated need fuel to cool~