why is the engine fan coming on when the temp. gauge doesn't show that it"s hot ? (1998 Merc. Grand Marquis)

Asked by Nov 04, 2015 at 04:02 PM about the 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr LS Sedan

The engine fan has been coming on even though the gauge shows normal temperature. I have noticed recently a smell that makes me think of a hot engine after driving it for awhile.

60,335

Maybe the fan switch is off or maybe your temperature gauge is. The electric fan will come on to maintain normal operating temperatures. If the car smells hot then perhaps your gauge is off and you may need to flush the radiator and maybe replace the cooling system hoses and thermostat as well.

92,535

First make sure your coolant level is a specs cold. As the temp gauge is separate from the fan sensor it might be hotter than the gauge is reading due to a malfunction in the gauge system, a "live data" scanner will be able to tell you that, you can compare what the ECM is reading against what the gauge is saying. HTH

60,335

A bad temperature sending unit can cause a false low reading at the dash gauge. If the car seems hot to you then don't ignore it but address the issue.