1997 Grand Marquis wont start

Asked by Nov 14, 2010 at 02:38 PM about the 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr LS Sedan

Car sat for several months.  Worked just fine.  Now, no start.  Engine cranks but no fire.  I suspect it's not getting fuel.  Fuel shutoff is NOT tripped.  Fuel pump fuse is NOT blown.  There is NO spark but I suspect that's because there's no fuel pressure.

Another weird thing is the ODB2 code reader produces "Error" after trying to read any codes.

Any ideas out there?

865

check for spark, check fuel pressure at intake, if all else fails try to replace ECM.

1,495

If the code reader is reading error, make sure the code reader is functioning properly if so then I'd suspect the ECM in your vehicle may be shorted out. That would explain why there is no spark and a read error. I would check the wiring to the ignition coil and ECM before changing it, those old fords where bad for wire corrosion, specially if the vehicle is from the coastal regions or areas with snow/salted roads. You may have to unplug the main harness connections sometimes the corrosion happens inside the plug (pins) will look green or rusted.

5,955

I know this is an old question but for new readers I would drop the fueltank and flush it out. Gasoline goes bad after only a short time and turns into mollasses. Letting a car sit vacant for several months will make fresh gas look like glue and it's ignite-ability goes away too. Cleanout the fuel tank and add some fresh fuel and your problems will be solved. That is if you didn't keep cranking on it, also change the oil, If you kept cranking, you probably washed down the cylinder walls of all remaining oil loosing all or most of it's compression. Without compression, the motor will never start. Fresh oil and fresh gas is the answer everytime when a vehicle sits for long periods of time. MrBlueOval / Kenny.

245

Normally when there is a communication issue between the scanner and ECM, you need to check for power and ground to the ECM. Easy thing to look at, is the ECM fuse/relay. Its not uncommon for an ECM to go bad, especially in older vehicles. So, that may very well be the issue. I have replaced a few, due to shorts.