Sporadic starter motor problem after driving 10 miles

Asked by Nov 09, 2014 at 10:57 AM about the 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr LS Sedan

I have a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The car starts fine cold. Then I will drive it 10 miles and and try to start the car. Everything works except the starter will not even make a noisr. This is a sporadic problem over the last month. All dash light are on. I wait a few minutes--like 7 to 10 and the starter starts car immediately. Battery is new, starter is new. I went to Ford dealer and he can find no problem. Naturally the problem will not occur at the dealer. Any ideas?

105

Have you checked the sylanoid switch some are located on the starter but most fords are under the hood see if the wires are tight , feel of the switch and see if its getting to hot . it doesn't cost much for that . also it could be the electrical part of the key switch inside the steering wheel column . get a hanes manual or pull it up on YouTube .

Good ideas. I think it is heat related. In the past I did have a problem with the ignition switch. The solenoid may be it too. How about a sensor that cools down after 10 minutes and then allows the system to start?? JH

360

Even though you got a new starter it sounds to like a BAD starter if it is new it should still be under warranty take it back and get another starter something inside the starter is bad when it gets hot engine tempature it's overheating the starter. I had that did the same thing changed the starter never had problem again it exactly the way you explained the problem.