1993 mercury grand marquis

95

Asked by Dec 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM about the 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr GS Sedan

why is my passenger side back seat on the floor fill up with water when it rains?

175

I found and FIXED this problem on my '94 CV. Its water from the condensate/cowel drain where it passes thru the firewall. Its a little tiny "cows tongue" drip drain and the water is dripping inside thru an opening under the drain. The plenum box mounting gasket (interior side of firewall) shrinks over time and opens a path for the water. You have to remove the bolts from the back half of the RF inner fender liner. Pull it out and prop it open with a block of wood or something to gain access to the firewall. Find this little drain and you can squeeze some silicone sealant in under the drain and the water will stop. NOW you have to remove the RF seat and interior trim, lift up all the carpet and get it dry or you will never keep the windows clear in the winter. Oh and the floor boards will rust out. It gets to the rear because the carpet undermat acts like a wick and moves it all the way from behind the heater box to the foot well in the back, the lowest point.

Best Answer
95

ok...i do have the problem with the windows right now...um do i need any special tools? if so plz explain...do i have to take the dash out? plz explain the directions more cuz i need to get it done in my garage in like one day...the right way

175

The actual repair is all done from the right front wheel area after you remove the wheel and pull out the liner. Nothing to do with the dash or the heater box. The hard part is the removal of the passenger seat to lift up and dry out the carpet and floor board.

95

where is the hole exaclty and what kind of caulk should i use

175

read on - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f10f125/0

95

will it still be the same issue for my 93 becuz all i can find is that its for a 98-02 ....and its about the water coming from under the wiper moters about a gasket....is that what you are talking about?

175

same stuff - if your carpet is wet on the drivers side, look at the wiper try. If your carpet is wet on the passenger side and pooling in the rear, its the cowl drain at the firewall, behind the RF wheel well.

95

i will work on it today ill keep you posted... thanks for your help man

95

pluged it up :D so now to wait for some rain

95

um raining today and its filling up again.....help?

95

bringing it into the shop later today-told them too keep it until they fix it permanatly

95

leaking from the windsheild....new windshield we will see if it leaks