what does 5 warning chimes mean? it comes on when I first start driving and continues for 15 min. at least

Asked by Mar 07, 2013 at 04:13 PM about the 2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature L

107,715

It could be the seat belt warning system. I found a couple of sites explaining how to disable it so it might be causing a problem. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_disable_the_seat_belt_chime_on_For d_Crown_Vic

40

I had an issue with a 2006 Lincoln town car with a chiming issue. It happened every time I floored the accelerator. With hard acceleration, first the instrument cluster and radio died - then an audible 5 chimes started. What it wound up being is that a Ford service rep advised me that due to lack of Lincoln alternators (when mine died a few months back) - is that he recommended an aftermarket Napa alternator. Upon testing it was discovered that this new Napa alternator provided a 20 volt "overcharge" which was enough to intermittently kill my gauges and cause an audible alarm. My Ford rep was able to locate a Ford alternator and the problem disappeared. In summary, be very careful with aftermarket alternators in Lincoln town cars. Hope this helps someone!

30

But it is not the same chime as the seat belt warning chime. It is the same chime as the message system. How could that be seat belt related. My 2001 Town Car sounds 5 times for 5 beeps each every time I start the engine--after about a minute or 2, and then, after driving for a half hour or so, it does the 5 of 5 again--for good measure. Still have no answer.

I have this issue for nearly 3 seasons, as I drive this 1993 lincoln mark 8 only in summer. I did read this time maybe the Battery alternator. And I charged my battery full, car worked great on way to work and back no issues. 150 miles... then after prking it home at supper, the alarm went off on its own three times thru last night. In the end I locked the car, and untill morning that stopped. Today after 70 miles drive in the 5 by 5 chime started. Ive gone thru the Brake fluid, ect. ect. Next I am thinking maybe it is the Battery/ Alternator. As ive been reading, Possibly the battery as I did notice a couple of very low liquid in 2 cell's when i decided to charge it as its been sitting unhooked all winter on the bench. Ive not changed the battery, and so far no issues known on alternator. But I did notice a low beam out. I will fix that on my lunch and then will see if that helped with the 5 by 5 or 25 chime every 20 minits ive been hearing now. I will keep checking but my airbag light seams to work ok, as do the rest of the visual lights...

30

I got the 5 chimes on my 2001 Lincoln Town Car. The chimes are a backup warning system. In my case I had ignored a seat bag warning light until it burned out. After that, the chimes started. I had to replace the light and that solved the problem. So I ask you, what is the good of a backup warning system if it doesn't tell you what it's warning you about? I'll bet Abbott and Costello could have told us.