2004 Lincoln Town Car dashboard lights

15

Asked by Feb 22, 2016 at 08:18 PM about the 2004 Lincoln Town Car Ultimate L

Here's a head scratcher...
I have a 2004 Lincoln Town Car. I have aftermarket HID lights, I had LED turn signal/brake lights, but decided to convert back, but I kept the resistors in and had no problems. I am also running an aftermarket headunit, as well as aftermarket stereo speakers and all LED lighting in the interior.
I noticed with 130,000 miles on the car, the alternator was going bad... No biggie. I swapped it out with a remanufactured, 130 amp alternator... Same as before.
Now, the fun part.
When starting the car and turning the parking lights on, you can see the dashlights, HVAC control lights and clock pulsate.. a little.
Put the car in drive and turn the lights on and it's all FUBAR.
Each time I hit the brakes, the blower fan (if on) will slow, and all the dashlights/interior lights will dim. Turn the turn signal on and I can literally watch it pulsate the dashboard lights AND the third brake light.
The headlights, outside turn signals, cornering lights and such do not dim... just the third brake light and interior lights.
I just purchased a 200am alternator, 70 more amps and higher-output, at the suggestion of a mechanic.
That being said, does anyone have any ideas? Bad ground? Should the alternator help fix my problem? Should I convert back to LEDs??
Please. I'm at a loss.

20

That more powerful alternator will definitely help! I'd suggest you take a look at your fuses as well, replace all that look old. Revert back of the LED's are plug and play and require no resistor.

15

Thank you!!!!! Like I said, I have been scratching my head. Actually, I think I'm going bald now. Lol.

49,395

Put it back to stock. The alternator has nothing to do with it.

15

Well, if you can state " the alternator has nothing to do with it", surely you can tap on what it could be? As I said, I'm at a loss. I see a lot of guys with Town Cars, running way more accessories and conversions, than myself.

49,395

My comment regarding the alternator has nothing to do with it comes from....I see nothing in your post that would require any extra amperage other than the factory alternator. Some aftermarket HID lights will cause power fluctuation issues and require a different harness. See the link for more information.....http://www.xenonhids.com/troubleshooting- guide.html

15

Thank you. That actually helps me, quite a bit.