my fan goes on and off while running the car, also if I open the trunk or unlock, also lock the fan goes on then immedialty off. What would cause this?

20

Asked by May 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM about the 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature

25,595

The Engine Cooling Fan or the interior AC fan?

20

Thank you for the answer.. it is the engine cooling fan. Goes on then immediately off with off with a rummm sound when the car is running..also I forgot to say the car is off when using the key fob to open the doors or the trunk, and locking it the car is totally off(not running). Again thenk you.

25,595

Well, a failing engine cooling fan is not uncommon. It's a large electric fan that is exposed to all of the elements. It may be that when the vehicle is jarred or another electrical component is activated, the fan gets continuity - I honestly have never heard of the fan running because you pressed the key fob. I work on a fleet of Crown Victorias - very similar powertrains to your TC with police equipment instead of creature comforts. A worn out fan isn't unusual.

20

I have replaced the fan, the 1st one I received did this and also the second one(they sent me a replacement). I had a different brain put in yesterday and now I am having transmission issues.. Could it possible be the temperature switch for the fan. Again, I thank you very much for your answer's. Thank you

25,595

Wow! I haven't heard of this kind of trouble and I've been a Ford Technician since 1987! There is no switch or temperature sensor that operates the fan. There are 2 inputs to the PCM that cause the fan to come on - the Cylinder Head Temp Sensor and the Air Conditioning. An experienced technician with an Advanced Scan tool can read the parameters of the Computer inputs and outputs (as well as any error codes) and actually see what the car is doing electronically. If you're having a shop do the work, I recommend that you go back and have them actually repair the vehicle! In some states, like California, you have a Bureau of Automotive Repair that will assist you with a shoddy repair. It sounds as though you may need a knowledgeable Master Tech to look at your car. The Dealer is a good resource but if you're shy of the dealer, find an independant shop that displays the ASE shingle and ask to speak with one of their Certified Mechanics. Ask people you see that own Town Cars in your area where they have their vehicles repaired. - Speaking of which, I need to go to work now myself and will return to this forum at approximately Midnight Pacific time. glad that I can help. You're welcome.

25,595

P.S. Your transmission is entirely computer controlled and may require a little time to learn the vehicle and develop its strategy depending upon how you drive. You installed a new computer from a source (Ford dealer?) that can properly program and update it didn't you? I hope?

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of your help. He does have the ASE , in fact he is the owner of the shop. I just don't know... one thing that is clear.is that another brain is not the answer, because the car still does the same thing except for the transmission. Again, thank you so very much..

20

Just to let you know that it was the fan motor that was bad. My mechanic replace it and I now have no problems with my car. I cannot believe that I received tow bad fan motors. Thank you again for all your help. Connie

ive been a tec for 22 years.i didn't read in his description that he had a repair done by any shop.sound like you have an ego issue Tracy.don't see how your reply was helpful.however if the fan was coming on with the with the transmitter being used it sounds as though the fan circuit was eather altered,or something was installed or incorrectly that the car was not equipped with using the fan circuit.the fan circuit is independent of all the other circuits.its controlled by its own relay.its cycles are controlled by the pcm,the pcm commands the fan on when cylinder head temp exceeds temp threshold and if ac hi side temp exceeds threshold.if there is anything tided into the fan circuit it should be removed immediately.it could damage the pcm and fan circuit as well as cause electrical noise thru other circuits which could also cause costly damage

20

I got a ? My lincoln towncar is 2004 n the fan works and stop wen ever and the car stars overheating what could be the problem