03 Town Car is bucking

110

Asked by Dec 28, 2013 at 02:21 PM about the 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature

2003 Lincoln signature town car has 99K and started bucking about 40 mph. Mechanic put in Seafoam....still doing it....put in more and more seafoam. still bucking? What can we try. We are in south Carolina not New England cold zone that would be affected by water in gas.

1,415

I would be looking into new coil packs, you have 8 and id guess one is bad. If you can afford all new then do it, otherwise i buy two new and start switching them out until i find the bad one, also make sure your fuel filter is new

Best Answer
110

Thank you so much Paul. Been pricing coil packs. Would you suggest Motorcraft or is any other cheapo okay? Is there any one site you'd suggest to buy from. A you tube site showed the actual how to do replace which will be very helpful. If just one is replaced will the others end up going too? Should plugs be replaced at same time? thanks again

1,415

I am a cheap skate so Ive bought some no names off ebay and had good luck with them --(If you do buy off ebay -- check sellers feedback rating) -- It is a pretty good bet that you'll lose a coil or two more but no guarantee -- they seem to go out at random intervals -- some last forever for no apparent reason and some dont. So it is a little up to your pocketbook -- replacing all 8 could save you probelms later, or if you dont mind a little guessing game from time to time, then just replace them as they go out. People say they dont gain any noticeable power from the big name coil packs so Ive never gone for the big dollar ones -- I replace plugs every 60 to 80K and they are suppossed to go 100K -- so Id definitely put in all 8 new plugs soon if I was you

110

Okay, we'll follow your good advice! Thanks for the extra tips about buying coil pack and plugs.

125

Just curious. Want2buy did the coil packs fix your problem? I now have a 2003 Towncar that has a little bucking problem too, but it only becomes evident when in top gear. Not at idle and not while accelerating. I had a 1998 that did this too and eventually the check engine light came on, but it was for an evap code. I had it reset and checked the gas cap. The light went out and didn't come back, but mysteriously the missfire went away too. Puzzling. Now here we go again I picked up this 2003 and it is starting to miss (not really buck).

105

Had same problem recently on 1999 town car. Changed fuel filter and air filter. Purring now