why does my seat make clicking noises when I retract it all tthe way back?

Asked by Nov 18, 2012 at 04:31 PM about the 2002 Lincoln Town Car Signature

when I shut gthe engine off on my 02 town car my seat retracts and it makes a clicking sound, what can cause this?

Do you mean it retracts on it's own without you doing it? Whether or not, the seat has a 8-way setting, with memory. It can be set to go back to a certian position automatically when the car is shut off. My 90 and '92 both did anyway, entire seat up/down--forward/back--bottom only seat tilt--seat back tilt forward/back, plus lumbar support- air inflated, and the clicking is probably from one of the ratcheting devices that hold it, in the event of a crash the seat and/or seat-back will not move foward.

I have a similar problem. I have other post who just say get the seat in the position that suits you and leave it. i bought a used car seat for about $50 but the wire was not the same as mine but I took it apart to understand the apparatus. The most interesting thing I can not seem to get the motor away from the track and I dont see any screws or bolts left--just rivots. Is that how the come all assembled with motor and track?