why is my a/c taking a long time to kick inon my 2002 lincoln tc. it never used to.

255

Asked by Sep 10, 2013 at 07:46 AM about the 2002 Lincoln Town Car Executive

once it kicks in, stays nice and cold,and will keep running, but if you shut car off, takes a
long time to kick in again, freon is full. any suggestions?

24,205

Is the Compressor not engaging right away or does it just take a while to get cold? Several possibilities: It's really, really hot outside and that's just how it goes - the system is low on Freon - The Compressor Clutch has too much clearance and isn't engaging fully - The Engine Cooling Fan is failing and isn't coming up to speed - Your condenser has a lot of debris in it - The Blend Air Door Actuator is failing.

255

I'm pretty sure the compressor is not engaging right away, I can see the clutch clicking in & out once it starts. I had freon checked, indecates it is full. Can the pressure limit switch be going bad?

24,205

Yes - High and or Low pressure switches can fail. Low side should turn the compressor off at around 28 to 30 psi. I forget the High Side range but I think it's above 300 psi. You may have too much clearance between the compressor clutch and the pulley. Does the compressor cycle quickly say every 10 to 15 seconds on a warm day? Also, how does one determine when an AC system is full? I've been at this for over 30 years with Ford and ASE Master Certifications and have yet to make that determination on any AC system without drawing all of the refrigerant from the vehicle and replacing it with the correct amount.

255

Yes, it does click in & out quite rapidly. This just started about a week ago, hasn't been that hot, has it?. As for as checking freon, guy at parts store said try to add freon to system, if low it would take in, if full it would not. it only took small amount from can. Not good advise I'm gussing by your answer.

24,205

Nope. You have to hook up a manifold gauge set to actually see what the pressures are. That's the only way to estimate the Freon level. The parts guy you mention is a Retail Clerk - all he knows about cars is what the computer screen tells him. If it cycles rapidly, your system is low. To add Freon to the system, the engine has to be running and the AC has to be on. Without a gauge, it will be easy to overcharge the system. I suggest that shop around a little. Many independent shops (and some National ones) offer an AC system check-up for around $25 to $30. You don't have to spend more money than that and you'll know what your system needs. NOTE: The refrigeration system uses R134a Freon which boils at -15 (minus 15) degrees and can blind you instantly. The average system has up to 300 psi. I strongly recommend you let a pro look at it.

Best Answer
255

Sounds like good advise. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

24,205

You're welcome!

255

Hello Guys & Gals, Just a follow up on my A/C not working problem. I would like to thank Tracy again for his help. I finaly got it checked out as sure enough, as Tracy had said, there was too much pressure in the unit because as i stated in one of the sessions, I tried to add more freon to the unit because I thought it was low, (on a suggestion from one of the attendants at the auto parts store) As it turns out, after vaccuming out the system and restoring the proper amount of freon( I now know it calls for 38oz. by the way), the tech found it to be the A/C clutch relay. End result, If I did not take Tracy's advice, I could have blown the whole system by doing the wrong things over a $20 part. HATS OFF TO YOU TRACY, AND AGAIN, THANK YOU!!!