Car won't go over 35

10

Asked by Jun 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature

If you have a vehicle that won't go over 35 mph,
check the air pressure in the tires, for example  if
you have 20 psi in the rear tires and 50 in the front,
the difference in tire pressure will effectively give
you two different tire sizes front to rear. The
problem is that the speed sensors are reading two
different mph from front and rear tires and causes
the computer to go into limp mode. The Solution is
to check the air pressure in the tires and make sure
that all 4 tires have the same psi.  Sometimes it's
just that simple

54,455

Uhh, you shouldn't be driving around with only 20 psi in the tires. They are likely to overheat in this hot weather and that will damage the tires.

104,085

That just don't sound right, even if that was happening once the system detected the speed sensor error it would disable the anti- lock and the trac-lock, so it would not governor the engine's rpm and hold it at 35 mph. True some problems are simple like an easily accessed ground wire or an unplugged sensor. With the TPMS in todays cars the driver will be alerted to the tire pressure problem before they even moved the vehicle.

54,455

2001 Lincoln does not have TPMS.

104,085

Odd my neighbor's Lincoln TC has TPMS.

10

It has nothing to do with the TPMS. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE SPEED SENSORS ARE READING TWO DIFFERENT MPH FROM FRONT AND REAR TIRES AND CAUSES THE COMPUTER TO GO INTO LIMP MODE, AS A RESULT THE COMPUTER LIMITS THE SPEED OF 35 SO YOU CAN SAFELY GET THE VEHICLE OFF THE ROAD ACCORDING TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP . Nothing to do with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System

10

It has nothing to do with the TPMS. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE SPEED SENSORS ARE READING TWO DIFFERENT MPH FROM FRONT AND REAR TIRES AND CAUSES THE COMPUTER TO THINK THAT THERE'S A SERIOUS PROBLEM SO IT GOES INTO LIMP MODE BE AS A RESULT THE COMPUTER LIMITS THE SPEED OF 35 SO YOU CAN SAFELY GET THE VEHICLE OFF THE ROAD ACCORDING TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP . Nothing to do with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System

104,085

I have never heard or seen of such a thing happening, usually the system just goes back to factory setting and turns on the warning lights, never heard of it connecting with engine management and forcing limp in mode in a vehicle of that age, I have seen it in newer vehicles of 2005 and above, but not an 01. Has the engine management system been refitted to a newer system?

54,455

@tennisshoes, TPMS on Lincolns 2006 and newer.

10

Bob, why do you keep asking about the TPMS. THE 2001 doesn't have any TPMS. Let's think about this for a second. If have 2 tires the same size and one of those only has 20 psi and the other has 50 psi. The tire with 50 psi is going to be bigger than the one with 20 psi ,. It's that difference in tire sizes that confuses the computer info received from the SPEED SENSORS, which are located at all 4 wheels. Why is this so difficult to understand

54,455

Jason, my comment was for tennisshoes. He thinks 2001 Lincoln Town Cars have TPMS and they don't. It likely could have been a traction control issue, but I am not sure that traction control was available on a 2001 Lincoln. Also pretty sure 2001 Lincoln did not have a limp mode either. I have a 2004 Mercury Marauder that is essentially the same chassis as your Lincoln (Panther Platform) so I am very familiar with the vehicles.

104,085

Bob I rechecked my neighbors 01 Lincoln TC and it does have TPMS but it is not a factory unit. I didn't think to ask him if it was stock, he just said that it had it.

100

clogged cat converters or faulty fuel pump which happened to me in 2015. that fixed my 35 mph max problem